Adopted by a single Guinea - Need Advise

So maybe try what Henry&Friends suggested. Leave a window open and it might come into your house.

that’s a last resort option though— I wouldn’t want one of those things flipping out all over my house! :oops:

As long as it isn’t too cold out, you can toss it some food in the morning and it’ll forage for food & roost somewhere at night. Something might’ve happened to its flock :confused: are we sure it’s a guinea hen? It’s really hard to sex them, the best way to sex them is to listen to their screaming, I think a hen does one syllable and a cock does two.

The guinea will scream nonstop— I wish I knew that before I got any. Mine have been handled and raised with chickens, and are still too skittish to go near. It probably won’t let you get near it, or go into your house or cage willingly. If you chase it off, it’ll roost up in a tree or something else. So I would just let it keep doing it’s thing, if it gets too cold maybe open the window and it’ll come in? :confused:

Love that - open the window....LOL - You are confirming my thinking - just provide what I can and let Guinea do it's thing. It has stopped screeching and all just hangs out now. Not running away like it did at first. But I place food out and water and call it Guinea so it gets familiar with me.

I've never had a guinea chicken before. I do know that they are always so noisy, so it's normal for it to be screaming and running around like that. I don't think you'll ever be able to catch it, though, so you won't be able to get it in a cage. If it's not sheltered at night, it could get eaten by some raccoon or possum if you have any where you live.

I'm not sure what you should do if it gets too cold. How cold does it usually get in the winters where you live? I live in Florida and temperatures only go down to maybe 30-40 degrees Fahrenheit. That is fine for them. My chickens have survived that temperature just fine. I'm worried if it gets really cold wherever you live, because it could actually die from the cold. :/ I wouldn't want that to happen to it.

So maybe try what Henry&Friends suggested. Leave a window open and it might come into your house.

Well it is 35 out right now. I am in northern Ohio and it gets cold. There are many places around the house here for the Guinea to hide and get out of the wind and weather right now but when that snow flies and it several feet deep I have another large cage in the garage that can be temporary if need be, but catching it LOL without opening the window the best LOL. I have hear that chickens are easer to handle at night? Is this true? if so I could maybe place a see through tote over it if it is on the patio to get it to a better place. ???

If it's eating food, you can probably put some food in a live trap and lure it in that way. You can buy traps in our local farm store. You might even be able to rent one. My family rented a live trap from the local SPCA once to catch a stray cat, but that was years ago, don't know if they still do that.

I don't think guineas are meant to be solitary. If it were me, and I chose to take responsibility for the guinea, I'd either try to catch and rehome it, or I'd get a coop and add some more guineas or chickens. I think once you catch it, you may be able to get it accustumed to sleeping in a certain place by locking it there for several weeks to a month. The guinea people should be able to tell you for sure. I don't have guineas, but I have read up on them a little bit because I think they're really interesting.

Good luck, and whatever you decide, and however much or little you opt to do, you're awesome for helping. Keep us updated! :)

Last edited:
If you know there are ppl around w/chickens, ask around- I bet someone's missing a guinea, or as you get closer, will know who has them.
@Unicornlife3316 - what is this "males make a three syllable very shrill call" you speak of? Have only ever heard that males saychee-1 syllable. Am curious bc I have one that I have been unable to identify because it still chirps & tweets like a keet at 4 months. But today noted a "bar-ee-ee" noise that made me do a double take (are you REALLY a guinea?) It's still higher pitched than the others

These are my favorite guinea noises, their constant little quiet chatter amongst themselves, sometimes it almost sounds as if they’re purring.
It wld appear that Google is agog- if I type in "guinea fowl purring" it pulls up guinea pigs. If i type in "guinea fowl cooing", it pulls up recipes!

I'm now wondering if Nugget's "Bar-ee-ee" is what you guys are referring to. Except- he'd have to be one super-contented bird, as he was doing it making a dash for the coop in a down pour yesterday!
I think I'm going to settle with "he" until I personally see him laying eggs, basing my decision on the male guinea domination tactics. He's on the receiving end, but not shy abt reciprocating.

I would not encourage the bird to come inside. I am living with a four and a half month old guinea in my house and she screeches, flies and generally causes a commotion, that is when she’s not being affectionate. This bird outside is indeed lonely and if you can trap it using bait, proso (white) millet is the best, you should and then find someone with a flock to take it. Maybe find someone with a flock first. Knowing how social these birds are, I can imagine how freaked out it is but also how incapable it is of appreciating your efforts to help it. I’m trying to acclimate the local flock to my bird which is why I’m prowling Backyard Chickens today for information. Good luck and thank you for caring about a bird that is quirky, loud, and sometimes mean. A solitary guinea is heartbreaking.
Wow - an indoor guinea! That does sound like a troublemaker! I see that you are trying to integrate it; are you integrating with a chicken or guinea flock?

Back
Top Bottom