Adopted by a single Guinea - Need Advise

One misconception about guineas is that they are loud ALL the time. That's wrong. My guineas talk to each other a lot thru the day, usually a soft chatter. But they are only loud at times; A female during breeding season, all guineas when they see something new or alarming to them, or when they are separated from the flock and trying to call for their 'family'. And they are nearly always quiet at night unless something is bothering them. ;)
Visitors here often comment on how quiet my guineas are.

If you know there are ppl around w/chickens, ask around- I bet someone's missing a guinea, or as you get closer, will know who has them.
@Unicornlife3316 - what is this "males make a three syllable very shrill call" you speak of? Have only ever heard that males saychee-1 syllable. Am curious bc I have one that I have been unable to identify because it still chirps & tweets like a keet at 4 months. But today noted a "bar-ee-ee" noise that made me do a double take (are you REALLY a guinea?) It's still higher pitched than the others

Watch this YouTube video for the male calls -

Right at about 1 minute, the close up, the male does what I call the three syllable call, it’s very fast, not like the rest of the video.
The female can make that very shrill call too, but the males can’t make the two syllable buckwheat sound.

One misconception about guineas is that they are loud ALL the time. That's wrong. My guineas talk to each other a lot thru the day, usually a soft chatter. But they are only loud at times; A female during breeding season, all guineas when they see something new or alarming to them, or when they are separated from the flock and trying to call for their 'family'. And they are nearly always quiet at night unless something is bothering them. ;)

Ah, I see. I do hear them do that, I just thought they were going faster. Nugget has always been my little weirdo. Everyone started making their defined sounds but Nugget continued w/cheeps & trills. Then the Bar-ee-ee started yesterday-still kind of a trill. So his/her sexual identity still remains a mystery.
I was looking at this page today - on the side in tiny print are sounds for different occasions- alarm, calling, "conversing" and ..demanding food, i think it was. It does seem to fit w/mine's behavior. http://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/species/helmeted-guineafowl

When they're "conversing" among themselves, it's quiet. When they want me to do something it get's pretty loud.
And whoever thought of the flapping towel is a genius! Mine discovered the front porch, and I scrubbed it down yesterday. Today i set a big gray towel by the door so every time they hopped up there they must've thought a huge hawk came flying out the door! They were pretty loud then, but eventually started walking PAST the porch rather than on it and stood having long conversations w/my truck.

I didn't scream, I just popped out of the door w/it. Tey couldn't see me at first, all they knew was some giant gray thing was coming and since it was windy today, it made snapping noises. Once they were out of reach they chewed me out, though.

I caught Guinea today!!! Did what Patricia Comer suggested. Took days but Guinea is now save in the cat cage. I placed wind screens on the sides of the cage and added poles for roosting, a light, water and food, Plus a Mirror.

For days Guinea would come hang out and the door on the patio. Go in the cage and eat but not far in the cage. Now the real trick was so Guinea did not see me, you can see thought the screen.

According to the weather today is going to be the last good day for a while. Guinea went in the cage and was hanging out, would sit a little and such. Well I went out bear footed and crawled on the ground keeping lower than the patio. I had to because I tried one time before standing up and Guinea saw me and ran. I slowly worked my way to the patio from the corner of the house, felt like a cat kind of, I slowly made my way to the patio steps. Crawled up the steps, at that time my husband was coming up the farm lane and could see me, he said I looked crazy. I hugged the patio with a really low profile sneaking up to the door and pushed it shut...... I had screen on the door so Guinea could not see me coming that easily. Guinea ran all the way in the cage then, it is 4 by 8 feet.

I opened the bottom of the doors screen so Guinea can see out as it has been doing and left. I figured enough for now, let Guinea get settled. I will come visit later. But the whole thing was not as stressful on Guinea and me to catch Guinea this way. I now have to worry about the upcoming weather and getting some better sides on the cage. But I do not have to worry about Guinea getting eaten and not having shelter. I am so happy.

I will start checking with the farmers around us and see if any have Guinea's so I can find Guinea a life long home.
I just caught up on this thread today. Congratulations on catching your lonely guinea and on finding her a flock! Great job!!! :celebrate

I've never had a guinea chicken before. I do know that they are always so noisy, so it's normal for it to be screaming and running around like that. I don't think you'll ever be able to catch it, though, so you won't be able to get it in a cage. If it's not sheltered at night, it could get eaten by some raccoon or possum if you have any where you live.

I'm not sure what you should do if it gets too cold. How cold does it usually get in the winters where you live? I live in Florida and temperatures only go down to maybe 30-40 degrees Fahrenheit. That is fine for them. My chickens have survived that temperature just fine. I'm worried if it gets really cold wherever you live, because it could actually die from the cold. :/ I wouldn't want that to happen to it.

So maybe try what Henry&Friends suggested. Leave a window open and it might come into your house.

that’s a last resort option though— I wouldn’t want one of those things flipping out all over my house! :oops:

As long as it isn’t too cold out, you can toss it some food in the morning and it’ll forage for food & roost somewhere at night. Something might’ve happened to its flock :confused: are we sure it’s a guinea hen? It’s really hard to sex them, the best way to sex them is to listen to their screaming, I think a hen does one syllable and a cock does two.

LOL - I got a laugh out of that comment. I would hide under the chair too! I read they mate for life? I thought about checking the area to see if there is a farmer in the area that raises them but that would not do me much good if I can not catch it. I have hear that chickens are easer to. handle at night? Is this true? I notice that in the morning at day break that the Guinea is slow to get up and appears sluggish.

I do not know the sex - now that it is not screaming can you tell by looks? I know it is a Guinea by the pictures on the web. It likes the food I got from Tractor Supply too. I have a heated bowl for a dog I will place out when it gets colder.

Back
Top Bottom