Adopting an Anatolian Shepard

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Ive had my eye on this anatolian since she was first introduced to our local shelter. We had to go thru an extensive adoption process just to meet her and today we finally did. My hubby was at the point of saying no up until now. Ive asked him to think on it but I'm worried he'll say no because this dog has bad hips. She's underweight and he thinks b6 her gait shes been hit by a car. I really want this dog bit ultimately our current dog has the say as to whether or not she comes into our home. My husband though has his doubts. Tell me about this breed.if you can

How bad are the hips? She might be better off staying underweight - I dropped my dog to about 92 lbs (her prev owner's records indicate she was high as 110 before) to help ease her burden on the joints, but big dogs with hip issues are pretty tough since you may need to help her stand up and go out if things worsen.

Has she ever been tested with poultry or any other livestock animals? Often LGDs end up in shelters because of that, so it's good info to have, even if your chickens normally stay penned up.

How bad are the hips? She might be better off staying underweight - I dropped my dog to about 92 lbs (her prev owner's records indicate she was high as 110 before) to help ease her burden on the joints, but big dogs with hip issues are pretty tough since you may need to help her stand up and go out if things worsen.

Has she ever been tested with poultry or any other livestock animals? Often LGDs end up in shelters because of that, so it's good info to have, even if your chickens normally stay penned up.
She weighs 89 lbs. According to the shelter anyway. I'm willing to bet shes lost more weight since being there. The only background they gave us is the first owner wanted to euthanize her but instead brought her there. The second adopter said she was "guarding" her husband from her. Shes shedding like crazy and her belly is fully shaved. My hubby is worried she was hit by a car

She weighs 89 lbs. According to the shelter anyway. I'm willing to bet shes lost more weight since being there. The only background they gave us is the first owner wanted to euthanize her but instead brought her there. The second adopter said she was "guarding" her husband from her. Shes shedding like crazy and her belly is fully shaved. My hubby is worried she was hit by a car
The first owner(s) didn't leave any records with the shelter then? Would be nice to know if there was a car accident, or if it's genetic or just wearing down with age (in which case joint supplements could help). We have ours on Dasaquin right now, Cosequin didn't make much difference, but hers is just a standard joint problem. Previous owner left vet records with the shelter so we have 36 pages of records for her.

Mine is attached to hubby for sure and took quite a while for her to warm up to me, but she didn't guard him. Mine's a giant coward so she wants him to protect her. 😅 But sounds like this dog might be a 1 person dog, or maybe doesn't like men as much?

The first owner(s) didn't leave any records with the shelter then? Would be nice to know if there was a car accident, or if it's genetic or just wearing down with age (in which case joint supplements could help). We have ours on Dasaquin right now, Cosequin didn't make much difference, but hers is just a standard joint problem. Previous owner left vet records with the shelter so we have 36 pages of records for her.

Mine is attached to hubby for sure and took quite a while for her to warm up to me, but she didn't guard him. Mine's a giant coward so she wants him to protect her. 😅 But sounds like this dog might be a 1 person dog, or maybe doesn't like men as much?
Actually it was the woman that supposedly was threatened by the dog. Which I thought was strange because that dog was all about me. I almost wonder if there was something going on in their household that caused it and not the dog itself, like if they were having a physical arguement. To my knowledge they didnt leave records with the shelter or they just didnt tell us. I wonder if maybe I could ask them for them. I dont want to seem rude about it though.

I texted the shelter and asked for the vet records claiming concern over possible previous injury. Hopefully they get back to me tomorrow. I really want to give this dog a good home where it can thrive and that means convincing the hubby. If I can convince him then its just a matter of making sure my current dog gets along with her.

I reached out to the shelter 2 days ago and still havent heard back. This makes me worry our thoughts were correct that they are indeed hiding something about her. Its a shame because she is really a sweet dog. I just dont have the capitol to invest in a damaged dog beyond behavioral issues. Hopefully we hear something but in the mean time ai bought our current girl her xmas present: certification as a ESA. Shes earned it and has worked hard to be my bestie with a vestie :wee

I feel badly for the dog but yes if there's any doubts, better to pass on her.

If you're set on getting a LGD breed, I do see them come up in shelters fairly often. Some are failed livestock dogs, others are too much for their previous owners (i.e. ours was raised from puppyhood by previous owner, but she barked a lot and when the owner moved to a new house, the barking became too much of an issue for neighbors - as we live on a private driveway she really doesn't have much reason to bark at our house.)

Actually it was the woman that supposedly was threatened by the dog. Which I thought was strange because that dog was all about me. I almost wonder if there was something going on in their household that caused it and not the dog itself, like if they were having a physical arguement. To my knowledge they didnt leave records with the shelter or they just didnt tell us. I wonder if maybe I could ask them for them. I dont want to seem rude about it though.
I would not adopt such a dog. The shelter's attitude seems rather dubios to me.

The neighbors about a half mile from me, just got a 6 month old Anatolian Shephard and she got lose and started attacking livestock all over town, even killed a few of the lady behind me chickens. The town hired someone to capture the dog. I agree with @rosemarythyme that you definitely need to make sure there are no underlying behavioral issues before adopting her. I completely understand wanting to give her a good home, but it sounds like she may have some possessive/territorial issues.

Back
Top Bottom