Adventures in Incubating Shipped Eggs

Hope your hatch comes out. I will be setting me eggs in my do my new DIY incubator tomorrow. I will be setting 23 shipped eggs. 9 from Texas and 14 from Maryland. I am super excited to start this as my first real set. And hopefully in 29 days I will have Welsh Harlequin ducklings
I'm very excited to hear how it goes. I admire those put build their own incubators.

I ordered 6 should I order more just in case?
With shipped eggs, the shipper sometimes sends extras, so you might get more than six. If I was using a broody, I would want to start with at least 8 eggs, on the assumption that even a 25% hatch rate would leave me with two chicks. If worst comes to worst, think about where you might be able to get foster chicks if none hatch.

With shipped eggs, the shipper sometimes sends extras, so you might get more than six. If I was using a broody, I would want to start with at least 8 eggs, on the assumption that even a 25% hatch rate would leave me with two chicks. If worst comes to worst, think about where you might be able to get foster chicks if none hatch.
Thank you I might just go with a dozen, but question is do I want 6-7 silkies if there is a best scenario? Lol.

:rolleyes:
I might end up in trouble if all mine hatch too. I have 7 more coming tomorrow from a friend. So I will have 30 eggs to set into the New bator. I have Gathered so many for my first hatch because I figured I would lose a lot of them on my first run.
That's what I'm planning im preparing for the worst not thinking I will hatch all of them lol

We candled our eggs last night and I am totally excited to say that of the 36 we set that there were o lu 8 that we didn't see definite movement in. Of those 8 2 were maran eggs which are super dark, one was a Bielefelder egg that was on the darker side and the other 5 were OEs and to me green eggs are just hard to candle.

Back
Top Bottom