Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Hey all!

Over the last few years we've seen more and more site visitors move to browsing BYC on mobile devices. This comes with a lot of opportunities, but also challenges.

One of the challenges is related to advertising. The design of ads on BYC was originally based mostly around desktop computer users (that have wide-screens). As we've grown, our expenses have gone up, but we've also unfortunately seen advertising revenue (that keeps BYC alive and FREE) decline.

This being the case, I'm working to update the design and layout of ads on the site. It's VERY important to me that our visitors (especially our members) have a good experience while on BYC, so I'm never going to allow a flooding of advertising, popups, etc. So, we won't be adding many (if any) new ads, but we'll be moving some of the ads around to work better with mobile devices.

We have 3 tiers of ad-visibility on BYC:
  1. Guests / Non-logged-in Visitors: They see the most ads
  2. Free Membership: A handful of ads are removed for our logged-in members.
  3. Premium Feather Members (PFM): All ads are removed

PFM's are a way for our members to support BYC and/or a way to disable ads without using an ad-blocker, etc. Hopefully those with ad-blockers will "whitelist" BYC or purchase a PFM.

We work VERY HARD to make sure that the ads (quality, type, etc.) are in-line with our community. We actually decline and block a LOT of ads (even if they pay really well) in our best efforts to make sure our visitors have a great experience on BYC. That being the case...

PLEASE report any ads that you feel are not appropriate, cause any problems, etc. We have many filters in place to keep out bad-ads, but sometimes they sneak through the cracks.

As always, thanks for your awesome support of our amazing community!

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this but im getting adds in between posts on threads.. like this
Screenshot_20180730-132410.png
Screenshot_20180730-132359.png

Yes, as mentioned above, we've needed to make some changes to the positions / layout of ads, especially for mobile users.

When we designed the site, we focused mostly on the desktop view, but now that we've seen a huge shift in people moving to mobile devices, the sidebar ads were pushed to way way low on the screen, so to compensate for the changes in devices and behavior, we had to move the ads around a bit.

We wish we didn't have to have any ads at all, but running a huge site like BYC is expensive, and our #1 goal is to have a sustainable model so people will always be able to access the wealth of info on BYC and our members will always be able to rely on us to store their millions of posts, pictures, conversations, etc.

These changes are still new, so there will be some bugs / issues to iron out. We're gathering feedback (for example, the "jumpiness of the page while ads load) and we're working with the developers to find solutions!

Thanks everyone for your patience, feedback, and support!
This posted just as i was posting my reply..lol
Thanks for the info.. :love

The only real problem its giving me is that the adds take a bit to load and cause the screen to keep jumping up and im having to scroll back down to finish a reply.

We're seeing something similar and are working with the developers to figure out what's causing the "jumping" and what we can do to mitigate it.

Part of the issue is that the code is written to be "nice" to the visitor so the ads load AFTER all the content loads. The idea is that speeds up the access / visibility of the content without making the entire page wait to load until the ads are loaded. The downside is that it seems to be causing the page to jump around as the ads load later / after the content.

So,yeah, we're looking into that too :)

We're seeing something similar and are working with the developers to figure out what's causing the "jumping" and what we can do to mitigate it.

Part of the issue is that the code is written to be "nice" to the visitor so the ads load AFTER all the content loads. The idea is that speeds up the access / visibility of the content without making the entire page wait to load until the ads are loaded. The downside is that it seems to be causing the page to jump around as the ads load later / after the content.

So,yeah, we're looking into that too :)
Thanks Nifty... y'all are always so quick to try to fix these things. It doesn't go unnoticed and is greatly appreciated! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom