house.of.ducks

Songster
May 4, 2018
Connecticut
I haven’t been on BYC for awhile now, but I figured that since I have two Chinese goslings arriving this week (hopefully anyways, my order has already been delayed twice due to problems at the hatchery, first low egg production and then some sort of quarantine. I ordered from Metzer Farms as both experiences I’ve had in the past with small orders, pairs, of ducklings went smoothly and the birds arrived healthy), one white and one brown, it might be a good time to log back in. I was wondering if anyone that has had experience with raising and caring for geese (I keep all my poultry as pets) may have any advice and tips for a newbie. I’ve done a TON of research on both geese and the specific breed and I have a lot of experience with ducks, but I recognize that geese are not ducks and any tips and tricks for keeping them safe, healthy and as tame as possible would be greatly appreciated.

If you’ve raised ducklings its pretty much the same. They are adorable and messy. Lol they love your attention when mine were tiny on really warm days we’d go out side and I’d sit and watch them play and learn they are very smart and love adventures. They also love to graze so If you have grass growing already that will help get them started just short soft grasses are the best. Any other questions feel free to ask but I can tell you from experience you’ll love having your goslings they are such a joy. I started mine off on Purina Flock Raiser crumble it’s a great feed both because it has adequate niacin but you can feed it all their lives. Or water fowl feed if you don’t have a mixed flock. Spend a lot of time with them they will be your best buddies.

I still do that with my adults the chickens have pretty much taken care of any grass around here so I pull grasses down in other area where they haven’t been you can let them graze on their own but when still tiny your going to want to cut it up for them and put out chick grit in their brooder if you give it to them in there. I’ve never heard of it helping prevent angel wing but that’s great if it does. Just getting them outside to forage different things can help too. When mine were around 2 weeks old I’d hang romaine lettuce in their brooder to nibble on and give them something to do.

I still do that with my adults the chickens have pretty much taken care of any grass around here so I pull grasses down in other area where they haven’t been you can let them graze on their own but when still tiny your going to want to cut it up for them and put out chick grit in their brooder if you give it to them in there. I’ve never heard of it helping prevent angel wing but that’s great if it does. Just getting them outside to forage different things can help too. When mine were around 2 weeks old I’d hang romaine lettuce in their brooder to nibble on and give them something to do.
I'm reading it helps to cut the protein in the ration to add grass and lettuce. The one author believes Angel wing comes from too much protein and gosling raised by a mom goose on pasture don't develop it as often as those raised by humans.

What type of bedding do you use when brooding?

Sorry @house.of.ducks I don't mean to hijack your thread. Hopefully I'm asking things you wanted to know too. :)

I start out with puppy pee pads during first week then switch to the thick shavings so they don’t eat it they aren’t much different than ducklings everything goes in the mouth and down the hatch. Towels are another thing that can be used but you’ll have a lot of laundry. I think it’s still up In the air to exactly the true reason whether too high protein or genetics but getting them out of the brooder a couple times a day for foraging and eating other things besides feed helps I add oatmeal to mines feed starting at 3 weeks reg not instant or quick I ferment so it’s easy to get it mixed into their feed. Probably mixing it into dry would work too. What breed are you getting?

I start out with puppy pee pads during first week then switch to the thick shavings so they don’t eat it they aren’t much different than ducklings everything goes in the mouth and down the hatch. Towels are another thing that can be used but you’ll have a lot of laundry. I think it’s still up In the air to exactly the true reason whether too high protein or genetics but getting them out of the brooder a couple times a day for foraging and eating other things besides feed helps I add oatmeal to mines feed starting at 3 weeks reg not instant or quick I ferment so it’s easy to get it mixed into their feed. Probably mixing it into dry would work too. What breed are you getting?
I will hopefully be getting American buff. A male and 3 females.

So just putting them out on the yard daily in movable pen should work? I do that with my chicks.

I've contemplated giving them to a broody muscovy to raise, but that's probably not a good idea bonding them to the muscovy. I personally haven't brooded ducks either. The muscovy mom does that for me. So starting waterfowl in general is new to me. Geese do sound like they will be fun. Hopefully I get over my fear of geese. :)

I'm reading it helps to cut the protein in the ration to add grass and lettuce. The one author believes Angel wing comes from too much protein and gosling raised by a mom goose on pasture don't develop it as often as those raised by humans.

What type of bedding do you use when brooding?

Sorry @house.of.ducks I don't mean to hijack your thread. Hopefully I'm asking things you wanted to know too. :)

For bedding I used towels and I also have a small pet carry case that mine is in side. I can put the heating pad under one side so it’s warm when needed.
My situation is different. Out of four hatched only one survived. Plus super imprinted on me so I am currently a stay at home mom again laugh out loud :) my younger ducks are ok with her but for safety I keep her inside currently.

Your getting a great calmer breed. That will help and you’ll have till next year to have to deal with a grumpy gander during mating season too! I had two adult geese who had lost their only gosling to get to hatch but died trying to hatch so I brought home two goslings to give to them but I waited 3 weeks before they got them full time first my female grieved for a week and wasn’t very interested in the new babies but everyday it was in June so nice an warm out we’d go for a walk passed her house and she would peek outside of course my gander wouldn’t leave her side but as soon as Missy got up an interested he was right there with her. So here we’d go me in front the two goslings behind me and the adult geese behind them. We did this for two more weeks till mama and papa goose were spending all their time with the goslings and I was just sitting there watching and at three weeks one evening when the geese went inside I put the goslings in with them it was such a precious sight to see Missy lay down and the two goslings lay down next to her. They were a family after that. I am not sure if your Muscovy would take yo them you could always try. But you’ll miss out on building that relationship with your goslings. But what ever you decide be sure to get them out around the other birds so they all get use to each other. I took my new Runner ducklings outside yesterday afternoon and I wish you could have heard my goose Missy she was so excited to hear babies. They are wonderful parents. My gander was papa goose to many Muscovy ducklings before I brought home a female goose for him. My goose no longer lays and I found out the hard way that 4 geese together can cause trouble in the barnyard so I sadly had to rehome the two young ones when they turned s year old. My Embden gander would be on someone’s table in no time so he stays here till the end of his life. Him and Missy have been here 12 and 7 years.

Back
Top Bottom