Advice/help requested - 8x8 shed to coop conversion

I guess I'd just cut a hole in the siding that's 10 3/4"h x 16 3/4"w.
Put flashing at top of hole, use 2x2's inside to support weight of window, and caulk window to inside of siding.
.There's more but hard to type it out, could make you a drawing, but not today.

Hope this is visible and makes sense.
How it looks assembled, steps to assemble may take more thought.
'Front' view from inside coop to the left,
'Side' views to the right....no 'hidden lines' so may be confusing.

upload_2017-11-3_10-36-15.png

Attach HC to the side and make an apron onto the stone?
Sounds good. May not need much of an apron (cause can anything dig thru those rocks?)just enough to use those pavers to hold it to the ground.

So are you saying to lift the pavers to then set the HC under?
Or put more pavers on top of the HC apron...apron about 8-12" then get 16x8x2" pavers to hold apron down...or piece(s) of wood with pavers or blocks on top to hold it down...probably lots of options. Just want to hold the apron down so nothing can get under it.

Oh...
My...
GOODNESS!

We're finally done!!!

:celebrate

I mean... There are a few things left to do, and some little final touches to add, but for the most part the coop and run are finished! I took a few pictures quick today before I called it a night...

20171127_154517.jpg

I am SO freaking proud of this door, I never in my life imagined I would say that! :lol:

20171203_075426.jpg
20171203_075435.jpg
20171203_162757.jpg
20171203_162808.jpg

The extremely spacious run! Fiancée says that now we'll have to let them have chicks since we have the space. ;)
(I know someone might suggest more framing, but at this point my chicken funds are a bit low... :oops: Also, my former-pheasant-raiser FIL assures me it should be fine...)

20171203_165930.jpg

Everybody at bedtime, not going where I want them to go. :p They're quite confused and it's only the second night, so they haven't quite figured out where to go to roost - although last night my rooster tried to scale the inside shed partition and landed on my head! I slowly walked to the roost/poop board and got him to roost on there instead. :lol:

I'm sure I'll be back with a few more updates/possible questions... But THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I definitely would not have been able to do this without you all and this amazing site!!

It's cool you got a nice big shed. You could check out the coop pages to get some ideas. Ventilation and some windows, which I see you have for sunlight are always good to have.

I look forward to seeing how it turns out. I like to go in all those sheds at the Home Depot and try to imagine them as chicken sheds.

Thank you! I do have about 10 saved threads of coop setups I really like - my favorite being this one by freesoul: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/our-new-shed-to-coop-conversion.1132143/

It will definitely be a process! I have a feeling attaching the run will give me much more trouble... But those inquiries will come a little later. I will try to photo document as I go! :)

Am more than glad to help, especially with such good info given by you at the get go.

I would go with purchased louvered gable vents, backed with HC inside for pred deterrence. The louvers should keep the rain out and slow down any drafts. You can always tack up some cardboard inside to further baffle air flow if drafts become 'feather ruffling' near roost.

I think I'd put the windows right under the eaves, one between the roost and storage area wall on the south side and the other in the middle of the north wall. Both will have to be backed with HC and may be tricky to decide how to install them for ease of operation. Side view with window open might tell me more. Hopefully you can just crack them in the winter. I think that'll set you for winter ventilation, maybe you can do more ventilation/light mods come next summer. Would be nice to have a bigger south window for winter time light tho.

Your sketch is pretty good, not quite to scale (as you duly noted) but fairly proportional, assuming the nests are 12" wide, and I love the direction symbol.
Looks like roost is meant to be 4' long? I'd go 6' with roost/board....and put a ramp on east side for silky.

Thank you! I appreciate details, so I figured I'd lay it all out there! Also I'm a visual art person, so I need drawings or photos to fully understand things. ;)

20170906_184938.jpg

Here's the side view of the window opened. I got them at ReStore for $10 each, and they have plenty more if I needed more. I guess I'd have to have this installed like a traditional window due to accessibility, so screen on the outside, covered with HC (screws+washers, maybe frame).

I believe the boards I bought to make the nest boxes are 12"x36" - I really eyeballed that area in the sketch.

6' for the roost sounds more reasonable, I had just thought using the studs to my advantage was easiest, but I'm thinking I could build it up on stilts kind of like a table. For the roost bars I wanted to make something that would be removable to clean. I've seen the traditional ladder style roost bars as well as the kind that is all equal height - I think I'd prefer the equal height? I did get a 2"x8' piece of wood rather than a 1" so they can have their feet covered.

Also wondering about the spaces between the studs - to cover with poultry wire or something like luan board? Otherwise I would think curious chickens may try to roost on the ledge there. But I feel if I cover with wire, debris could build up behind it, and if I cover completely I worry about bugs (or jeez, mice) making homes inside... So I'm really not sure what to do.:confused:

I will have to make little chutes & ladders just for my Silkie, appropriately named Tiny :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

You will find many of us ready to (endlessly) debate the finer points of roost design!:lau
... and any other poultry topic!:lol:
sorry about the bad link

Oh I believe it! I do appreciate differing viewpoints though and so much help!

That is going to be one fine coop for your birds and handy/comfortable for you as well, especially in winter you will appreciate the extra room.

When you get the run up - think about covering at least three sides with clear plastic in winter to block the wind.:D

Yes! I'm so excited for them to enjoy it. Today they were such a soggy mess with all the rain we got, so I can't wait to get this all done. I had to wrap their run walls last year, so I know *that* drill! We also can get hay or straw bales from a farmer friend, which is helpful too :)

I appreciate details, so I figured I'd lay it all out there! Also I'm a visual art person, so I need drawings or photos to fully understand things
We are on the same page ;)

Top hinged windows are best opened to the outside, to deter with rain infiltration, especially where there are no roof overhangs, and to not add interior obstructions or landing/perching places. But that window is so small and your coop is roomy it might not matter and it will be easier to install with window opening to the inside.

Poop board/roost will need to be attached to stud, but size does not have to match studs. I built simple support attached to studs. Poop board bottom is luan and is lined with heavy duty vinyl held down with corner trim. Poop board itself is just tacked thru back edge into stud in 2 places.
full

full

I built my roosts to be removable but found I didn't need to remove them to clean.
Can reach under the 8" clearance with hoe and sifter basket.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/6...raphic-gross-poop-pictures/1100#post_13179595

The never ending debate about what size to use for roosts goes on and on,
my advice is use what you want. My birds roost on the 3.5" of a 2x4, and on the 2x2 edge of poop board, and on the poop board itself. Never had toes freeze or damaged tendons or broken keel bones.

They probably will try to land on those ledges....good thinking.
Chicken wire would be better...or, oh!, even maybe just a couple strands of wire at 3-4 and 6-8" above the ledge would deter their landing there and would not collect debris.

Back
Top Bottom