Aggressive Barred Rock Rooster

I have a 10 month old Barred Rock Roo from a McMurry Hatchery and he in the last month has become very aggressive. I have to do work in the run before I let him and his 7 hens out in the mornings and I have to lock him out of the hen house to do work and gather eggs inside the hen house because he will attack. I didn't want a Barred Rock Rooster but I knew that's what he was the day I received them from the Hatchery. Ever who sexed my order should have knew that chick was a rooster.

10 months is about the age they become more protective in my experience. He will still go through some more changes. If you are going to keep him consider post #18 and #25 in the following thread link. Very helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1149551/aggressive-rooster/10

But if you do not need or want a cockerel, life is too short... let him go. Even if it happens to be to feed some one else's family if you aren't able to do the deed yourself. There is no shame in that and many of us do it very humanely with the bird nice and calm.

It's unfortunate that the hatchery 90% policy doesn't account for the time, energy, or emotion it takes to deal with getting an unexpected cockerel.

Best wishes, whatever you decide!
fl.gif

My barred rock roo is about 6 months old and he has become extremely possessive of my entire flock (17 hens) I had 6 roos all together. 3 were hatched together. Any time my barred sees another roo mounting a hen he rushes over to knock the first one off and mount her himself. I've been forced to give away all my other roos because he has become such a brat!

Back
Top Bottom