Aggressive Rooster? Can he be tamed?

I agree with everybody else. The roo is just doing his job, trying to be a good citizen to try to chase this scary person away from his charges. It would be sad to "punish" an animal for doing what he's supposed to do. The leaf blower is a really bad idea. Keeping birds out of an area by scaring them to death will often have unexpected consequences as the bird community reacts in a way that makes sense to them.

In other words, the rooster attacks may just be an example "the chickens coming home to roost..." <sorry!>
Initially I thought my mom using the leaf blower was the problem because she was the first person he attacked. The decision to cull was based on his treatment of the hens and how he was attacking my kids. He bloodied up several of our hens and two of them started hiding from him and the rest of the flock. I didn't mention his treatment of the hens much because I wasn't sure what was normal or not. So we chose the other rooster over Jefferson.

Initially I thought my mom using the leaf blower was the problem because she was the first person he attacked. The decision to cull was based on his treatment of the hens and how he was attacking my kids. He bloodied up several of our hens and two of them started hiding from him and the rest of the flock. I didn't mention his treatment of the hens much because I wasn't sure what was normal or not. So we chose the other rooster over Jefferson.
You really went out of your way to consider best options, and that’s not something everyone would do. Be proud of the difficult decision you and your family made, and thank you for your careful consideration of both humans and chooks wellbeing. ❤️❤️❤️

Oh I know the leaf blower is terrible. I get upset every time it happens. So you think if I convince her to try to make friends, this could be turned around? I should clarify that both time he attacked her it was when she was NOT trying to chase them off. She was just walking to the car.
I think it's a mistake to keep a mean rooster. You may think he's "only" going after your Mom (that would be plenty for me to do away with him) but you never know when your kids will appear to be a threat to his flock. I understand all about roosters protecting their flocks but I would be protecting my family. I have never had a mean rooster that could be taught to not attack. They just get bolder and meaner in my experience. No offense intended to those that think the rooster should stay, just stating my opinion based on decades of raising chickens.

People who have read the entire thread know that this bird has already been eliminated, because he attacked their child. As above, and as many of us have experienced, mean birds get worse, not better, and small children and visitors are at risk, even if the adult flock owner can work around the behavior.
Mary

Last edited:
I think it depends on the breed of the rooster. I have a black Jersey Giant and he used to attack me when ever I went in the coop. I would grab him and hold his body down while holding his head to the ground, much like he does a hen when mounting her. I held him for a couple minutes after he stopped struggling. This worked for about two weeks. Next time I did the same thing and it was good for about 4 weeks. The last time he attacked me I had cowboy boots on and kicked him in the chest, which I don't like to do, but it has been about a year now and I have no trouble with him at all. He was just protecting his hens.

I think it depends on the breed of the rooster. I have a black Jersey Giant and he used to attack me when ever I went in the coop. I would grab him and hold his body down while holding his head to the ground, much like he does a hen when mounting her. I held him for a couple minutes after he stopped struggling. This worked for about two weeks. Next time I did the same thing and it was good for about 4 weeks. The last time he attacked me I had cowboy boots on and kicked him in the chest, which I don't like to do, but it has been about a year now and I have no trouble with him at all. He was just protecting his hens.
Yes - dominance is one thing, fear is another. Putting a rooster in the submissive position (pinned with head down) gives you dominance over him for that period of time - but eventually a healthy roo will try to improve his position in the pecking order by tackling the dominant bird again - you.

For a determined bird that tries his luck more than once with serious jumps and kickinf, I subscribe to a short firm experience of pain as a much stronger reminder of who is the more alpha. It seems to last longer. If attacks became more common even after this, it would be time to cull.

Oh I don't doubt that for a second. I was so worried he would think she is a threat because of it. The chickens love coming to the back porch because my kids feed them treats there. So they are getting very mixed messages.

I am new to chickens and I have heard things about roosters....so I am hoping he is not permanently affected.

The leaf Blower still maybe the reason for the attacks.
I agree. The rooster only became aggressive after her mother chased him off with a leaf blower for weeks. He has since been culled for attacking them.

I have a 22 week old Rooster named Jefferson. He was never a sweet cuddly boy but he was never aggressive to any of us, including our kids. He doesn't like to be touched, so we don't mess with him. He will take treats out of our hands though.
After my father passed away, my mom has come to live with us. She has been chasing the chickens away from the porch with a leaf blower. This has been going on for weeks. Recently she was attacked two separate times by Jefferson. The first time he went for her feet. The second time he flogged her.
My question is, can this be remedied? I don't want to get rid of him unless he goes for my kids. My kids are outside with all the chickens every day and neither of the roosters have ever acted aggressive towards them ever. Can we fix how he is with my mom? Any suggestions?
Hello I use a feed bag . I walk through they get out the way because they don’t know who or what the bag is lol 😂 they think it’s a threat and retreat or get out the way .

Back
Top Bottom