Aggressive Rooster?

chicky78

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
I am concerned about a rooster I have...ever since he was a chick he has been a little hellion, but recently he has been very aggressive towards the hens. The chickens are all 16 weeks, there is a black australorp, a barred rock, and 3 EE's (2 are roos). The dominant rooster is very well behaved, sweet as can be, and shows no aggression around the hens or people. However, the meaner roo has recently started yanking out the tail feathers of the hens...he's not too choosy, he just struts over and grabs their tail feathers, yanking them out while the hens squawk to no end. I don't believe this is a mating behavior, I think he's just mean. The 5 gals/guys have an 80 square foot coop with straw bedding, plenty of food & water, and a 20'x11' run. Is this normal? Can I stop him from doing this or is he roast? I want to free range them, but our neighbor's dog makes that an impossibility

Last edited:
I've read that if you carry a roo around while your working in the yard it confuses them and they become less aggressive. I don't know if it's really true, my roo is too fast for me and he is not that aggressive. Good luck.
J

It may be that he is just testing his testosterone now that he is coming of age - or he may need to be stew. I would give it another month or two and use the carry-around technique. Also make sure to knock him off of any hen that he tries to mount or attack when you are within range. That will help establish that you are top dog and hopefully knock him down a notch or two.

Back
Top Bottom