agressive 5 month old silkie need help

FernbergFarms

Songster
Apr 20, 2019
Northern Minnesota
so I have a 5 month old Silkie rooster, Zaylia (Mullet man),and he has become very aggressive within the past couple months. he has grabbed the hens neck from across from them and almost like shook them and just held them there, he has attacked all the kids in our family (4) multiple times, chases us and jumps at us. he isn't scared of us anymore; even with shovels or sticks. once we noticed he was getting more and more aggressive towards the hens we separated him from the other chickens. we keep him in a coop that is just fenced around and has a wood roof. we let him free range a lot, but it is very hard to get him back in his coop. we tried giving him away but when we let him with the buyers chickens he attacked them ansd it took us around 3 hours to get him back. its going to start to get cold where I live and at night don't want him to freeze. what should I do?

Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

If the buyers did not do "look but don't touch" for several days then integration was not done properly and fighting is to be expected. None of my standard size hens will have anything to do with or submit to bantam roosters.

I agree with others though, his behavior will not likely improve and I would put him on the dinner table OR let someone else. Maybe even pet food for those raw feed folks. Craigslist farm and garden section is a good place to post if you're in the US. :drool

Other than that, separation where he can mature a bit and learn to manage all these crazy hormones... like you have already done. ALL my boys grow out in a stag pen to gain manners before having access to the ladies. :thumbsup

While Silkie feathers don't have barbs that hold them together and might allow them to blow more in the wind... they are still very effective at keeping them warm. Freezing shouldn't be too much concern. You might be able to use treats to lure him back to his coop at night.

:fl

The only cockerel or rooster I've ever had give me tude is my little Silkie cockerel. What's with these little puff balls thinking they're hot stuff? Mine has calmed down and hasn't given me any problems since I lifted him off the ground and "kicked" him away with my foot (more of a gentle push). I'm still not 100% sure if I'll be keeping him or culling and replacing. He doesn't attack anyone though so I'll be giving him more time.

Sounds like your boy may be past rehabilitation. There are many threads here with many different suggestions on how to change cockerel/rooster behavior. You may want to search for those and try a few if you are so inclined. Personally, I'd cull him.

He'd be long gone here! Dinner, or that rose bush, are your best options. Attack roosters, no matter how small or 'cute', just aren't worth it. Nice roosters are wonderful, and tend to be born, not made. he isn't one of them!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom