All or Nothing, Shipped Egg Journey

The stress is already beginning! I have tracking numbers on all three shipments. But one says they will be here on the 15th (Friday) and one says the 15th on USPS site but the txt updates says the 12th while the third hasn't been picked up yet. I really hope they get here before friday for freshness sake but I guess setting them the 16th should be ok, they would be at least 7 days old then.

2 of the the shipments will be here today! What is everyone's thoughts on staggering the hatch or should I old these first eggs until the stragglers arrive and set them all together?

For the matter of hatching times being close I would try to hold off and set all at the same time, unless you run into a long delay on the one shipment.

For the matter of hatching times being close I would try to hold off and set all at the same time, unless you run into a long delay on the one shipment.

Thank you!!! They shouldn't be too far off, but I haven't got any updates today, and as of yesterday they were still somewhere in Michigan..... so we will see when they get to Cali lol

For shizzle my frizzle! I wouldn't worry about staggered hatches, especially if they are only going to be set one day apart!

Don’t forget to let the eggs rest for 24-48 hours after they arrive. Postage can knock the air cells around a lot so letting them sit will help them settle and be less scrambled.

I sat my 7 for 48 hours and got 5/7 to hatch with all 7 developing, so I really do think it helps.

Best of luck with the hatch I have my fingers crossed for you!

Don’t forget to let the eggs rest for 24-48 hours after they arrive. Postage can knock the air cells around a lot so letting them sit will help them settle and be less scrambled.

I sat my 7 for 48 hours and got 5/7 to hatch with all 7 developing, so I really do think it helps.

Best of luck with the hatch I have my fingers crossed for you!
I think that's a MYTH! I wouldn't risk letting them wait a day longer or 2 longer as the shipped eggs are already old as it is, especially if you don't even know how fresh the eggs are before they are packed up and sent out! Not worth the wait. Just my opinion. I mean, think about it, you can set the eggs in immediately and after a day or 2 they will settle down anyway..... it's not like they are forming into a fetus in a day or 2 while incubating!!

I think that's a MYTH! I wouldn't risk letting them wait a day longer or 2 longer as the shipped eggs are already old as it is, especially if you don't even know how fresh the eggs are before they are packed up and sent out! Not worth the wait. Just my opinion. I mean, think about it, you can set the eggs in immediately and after a day or 2 they will settle down anyway..... it's not like they are forming into a fetus in a day or 2 while incubating!!

When you let them settle the egg needs to sit point down so the air cells can return to normal position. Most incubators have eggs lie on their side, and since eggs need to be turned daily once they start development the air cells will never have time to settle properly. Chicks still develop, they just suffocate when trying to hatch since the air isn’t in the correct spot for them. Every breeder I’ve talked to who ships eggs encourages customers to abide by this rule.

It is up to you though and I don’t think either decision is wrong, if you’re worried about how old the eggs might be the best thing to do might be to candle the eggs once they arrive to check for displaced air cells and if none are displaced set straight away.

Either way I hope it’s a successful hatch! Hopefully you get that frizzle pullet you’re wanting! :fl

It will be interesting for sure! I think I will probably go ahead and let them rest for 24hrs to wait for the other shipments to come in. The frizzles are on their way for sure, but I think the Leghorns missed the truck coming out of Sac this morning so they will be here tomorrow hopefully. Depending on how things look tomorrow I might set the frizzles a day or two ahead of the rest. I am most excited about them and want to keep them for getting too old before setting. Really starting to wish I got a dozen of them instead of 6, but live and learn!

Back
Top Bottom