All who have traveled with toddlers on a plane ~ advice? Update!

There is a Sam's in Fairbanks. Get someone you know to pick you up a set of noise cancelling headphones for each child. We got some there before Christmas for $30 each. When our kids were babies (3 in 3 years) I traveled twice a year to Texas from Anchorage. The thing we found most useful was something for the kids to listen to. Also the headphones cut out a lot of noise and noise can be very stressful.

Goldfish were also a hit....umm...they still are and my oldest is 12.
smile.png

I agree that carseat/stroller is awesome.I had to carry my 13mo,carseat,and huge backpack when the two of us went from Ohio to Turkey.

I remember taking snacks and drinks.Extra cloths.Playdough,bubbles,finger puppets,and .....that was it. The bubbles worked good in the airport.I also took some wipes because a recent news story found fecal residue on the headrest....so I wiped our entire area.Also some hylands vitC and echinacea drops for immue boosting.I took rescue remedy for emotional upset,but she never needed it.I might have had some hylands teething tablets.Some people let there little ones wander the aisles,but my girl only got out of her seat when she or I needed to use the bathroom.The bathroom was the worst part of the flight.

Oh and for you...something for headaches.I remember having the worst headache when we were on the 10 hour flight over the Atlantic.I had no meds and was seated next to a sick family of 5.Then there was a delay for the NY to Cleveland flight.It was a long trip home!

Once in the air see if you can move seats to an area with less people.I know we were restricted from some seats due to the carseat and in the case of emergency.I also had to ask to make sure I was able to get on every flight before the crowds so I could strap in the carseat.

We paid for a seat for my daughter too.And I agree about not stressing.I remember my dd crying on the first plane(we took 6 planes total) and luckily the guy behind us stuck his hand between the seats with a face on his hand,and made my dd laugh.You can only do so much.

We traveled in the afternoon going and coming home started in the am.The afternoon one was easier since she slept more on the ocean flight.If you can keep your little one up a bit,or wake early for travel then he might sleep better on the flight.

Enjoy your time in SC!

Mattemma ~~ Thank you for the great list! I didnt think to take bubbles, how long ago did you fly? I dont know if they will let me take them as they are a liquid but I will have to look into that. Great idea about wiping down the seats, I also dont want my crib midget running around. I dont know what part is going to be more stressful the flights or the inlaw lol
lol.png
I have a good hour plus between each flight so that he can run around so thats a good thing. I also will add the vitC to the list.

Thanks all! Im sure I will come up with more questions in the next few weeks and Im willing to bet yall can answer them! Thank you BYC'rs
big_smile.png
clap.gif

Having only flown with a VERY active 1 year old from the Midwest to the West coast once! I would say don't do it.....

Seriously though, My suggestion would be snacks and more snacks also favorite toys.. Quite possibly airplane related.

We lucked out and had kind considerate people in front of us and behind.. (Our child was pretty much standing on the seat checking out other people the whole trip..)

Now traveling is "easy" the 4 and 6 year old boys keep busy fighting with each other the whole way..

ON

AKTomboy....I am the son of a retired "airline employee" (not sure if I'm allowed to say the name). I've traveled all my life and my two sons have as well. From about 6 months to their current ages (11 and 15)

Benadryl was always a Godsend when they were very little as mentioned before

One big thing to remember is the affect that the pressure will have on their ears. Unlike you and I, they don't know how to clear that "stuffed up, almost painful" feeling you get from the increased cabin pressure on their ears. I would encourage you to carry a "sippy cup", pacifier, gum if they are old enough...something to help clear their ears after the plane is up. If you can nip that problem early in your trip it will me MUCH more tolerable.

Safe travels!

Scott

I have to tell you a funny about traveling with a small child on a plane. We flew from GA to CA when my son was maybe 2 or so. I was so worried Josh would get bored and restless that I played with him constantly. When I took a break for a couple of minutes, Josh sacked out, face down on the fold down tray. Don't overdo it! LOL

Snacks, although I don't know if you can take juice on board. A change of clothes for both of you, maybe 2 for your child. Let him get up and walk the aisles when allowed. Fellow passengers would much rather he walk around some than scream. Succers, or a paci or something for him to suck on during landings and take offs.

New toys are always fun, but maybe not something with a lot of pieces. Favorite comfort item, picture books. Maybe put some cute kid songs on your I-pod, and let him listen to music. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom