Would Ameracauna Roo crossed with Golden Comets ve a nice,high egg yield ,blue/green laying bird

• NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A mess

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sarahndipity723

Songster
12 Years
Jul 23, 2011
Coastal Southern Maine
Hi there!
I am trying to determine
Ameracauna Roo crossed w/hybrid Golden Comet hens
would be a good cross
re
1)high egg production,
2)cold hardiness and foraging
3) blue/green eggs
4) pretty & nice temperment
Any thoughts on an Ameracauna roo crossed on Comet hens pls? Would the comet eggs be blue/green?
What would the chicks look like ? TY

If your rooster is a true Ameraucana, the eggs would very likely be some shade of green/olive. Understand that birds sold as Americana, Ameracauna or any of the many spellings are generally Easter Eggers and may not be 100 % for the blue egg gene. True Ameraucana are generally only available from breeders.

Egg production, hardiness, and foraging ability should be good. Temperament might tend to follow the temperament of the rooster.

Hi there!
I am trying to determine
Ameracauna Roo crossed w/hybrid Golden Comet hens
would be a good cross
re
1)high egg production,
2)cold hardiness and foraging
3) blue/green eggs
4) pretty & nice temperment
Any thoughts on an Ameracauna roo crossed on Comet hens pls? Would the comet eggs be blue/green?
What would the chicks look like ? TY

I see this is an old post, but what did your babies end up looking like? I'm incubating eggs right now from a lavender ameraucana roo and a golden comet hen and I'm really curious!

I see this is an old post, but what did your babies end up looking like? I'm incubating eggs right now from a lavender ameraucana roo and a golden comet hen and I'm really curious!
Welcome to BYC! :frow

All your chicks will be black (possibly with some red leakage).. lavender is a recessive color that breeds as black when crossed to other not carrying the lav dilution gene.

They should also be bearded as that's dominant. And possibly green legs.

Straight comb is lack of another modifier gene.. so chicks *should* be pea combed as pea is dominant to straight.

Blue shade can vary greatly in eggs from nearly white to nearly green, even according to the Ameraucana standard of perfection..
1661646748663.png

I would expect perhaps khaki/gray colored eggs.. Here is a simplified description chart or 2 (not completely accurate but you get the idea)..
1661646836617.png

1661646979119.png

Understand that this is according to the information I have and genetic inheritance can be a bit more complicated. Please don't my suggestions as gospel.. but rather just maybe a good starting place for your continued curiosity and learning!

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

Welcome to BYC! :frow

All your chicks will be black (possibly with some red leakage).. lavender is a recessive color that breeds as black when crossed to other not carrying the lav dilution gene.

They should also be bearded as that's dominant. And possibly green legs.

Straight comb is lack of another modifier gene.. so chicks *should* be pea combed as pea is dominant to straight.

Blue shade can vary greatly in eggs from nearly white to nearly green, even according to the Ameraucana standard of perfection..
View attachment 3238325

I would expect perhaps khaki/gray colored eggs.. Here is a simplified description chart or 2 (not completely accurate but you get the idea)..
View attachment 3238327
View attachment 3238330
Understand that this is according to the information I have and genetic inheritance can be a bit more complicated. Please don't my suggestions as gospel.. but rather just maybe a good starting place for your continued curiosity and learning!

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy
Wow, thank you for this! Genetics are so interesting, especially chicken genetics! I think I understand that female pea combs are a single row and roos develop 3 rows? Is that correct? Can't wait to see the adorable babies around Sep. 16! I also have this lav. roo crossed w/ a barred rock in the incubator. I've read that the barred hen will put her barring onto the male babies. So I'm guessing the females of that X would be black as well? I hope my incubator does well. This is our first time incubating. I hope to come back with pics!

I also have this lav. roo crossed w/ a barred rock in the incubator. I've read that the barred hen will put her barring onto the male babies. So I'm guessing the females of that X would be black as well?
That's correct.. your lav roo over a barred hen.. if you can discern which eggs are hers will produce sex linked offspring.. with females being solid black (black chicks often have white under bellies that will change with maturity) and no white spot on their head at hatch. Males should have a white spot on their head at hatch and ultimately be barred when mature.

I think I understand that female pea combs are a single row and roos develop 3 rows? Is that correct?

That whole pea comb sexing is not accurate in my opinion.. as the very definition of pea comb includes 3 rows of peas. Though they indeed *may* be more discernible sooner on a male chick. Check out the Brahma hen's pea comb in this link..

https://www.communitychickens.com/chicken-comb-types-zbw1912ztil/

I hope my incubator does well. This is our first time incubating. I hope to come back with pics!
Even the cheapest bators can give good results.. with some tips and tricks.

I like to move my eggs around to a new spot daily. inside the bator to make up any differences for hot or cool spots EVEN in forced air. It helps to keep my hatch frame tight.

Feel free to start a new thread for your hatching adventure where you may end up getting more input and feedback than under this heading.

Here is a link to my favorite (technical) hatching resource (aside from this site)..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Adventure on! :wee

That's correct.. your lav roo over a barred hen.. if you can discern which eggs are hers will produce sex linked offspring.. with females being solid black (black chicks often have white under bellies that will change with maturity) and no white spot on their head at hatch. Males should have a white spot on their head at hatch and ultimately be barred when mature.

That whole pea comb sexing is not accurate in my opinion.. as the very definition of pea comb includes 3 rows of peas. Though they indeed *may* be more discernible sooner on a male chick. Check out the Brahma hen's pea comb in this link..

https://www.communitychickens.com/chicken-comb-types-zbw1912ztil/

Even the cheapest bators can give good results.. with some tips and tricks.

I like to move my eggs around to a new spot daily. inside the bator to make up any differences for hot or cool spots EVEN in forced air. It helps to keep my hatch frame tight.

Feel free to start a new thread for your hatching adventure where you may end up getting more input and feedback than under this heading.

Here is a link to my favorite (technical) hatching resource (aside from this site)..

https://www.hubbardbreeders.com/media/incubation_guideen__053407700_1525_26062017.pdf

Adventure on! :wee
Thank you so much for taking the time to give out the info and links! I just realized how challenging it will be to keep these black chicks identified as they all dry off and before I can open the lid on the bator! May end up having to wait for them to feather out a bit! Thanks again. I'll definitely be back in a few weeks with a my hatching thread!

Back
Top Bottom