"Ameraucanas" & brown eggs . . .

Look at your EEs - if they have green/olive/slate blue LEGS then they carry the gene for green eggs.

Absolutely unrelated; an old wives tale. The genes that cause willow legs are completely unrelated to the blue egg gene.

A closer bet is checking the comb type--pea combs are closely linked to the blue egg gene, and both traits are usually inherited (or not) together. Something like a 3% chance of inheriting one without the other. This is scientific fact.​

Don't Brahmas and Buckeyes have pea combs? Neither of these breeds lay blue eggs, do they?

One guess as to why all EE don't lay tinted eggs is that the tinted egg gene is dominant, so that a hen that lays colored eggs could have one dominant and one recessive tinting gene. Likewise, an EE rooster could carry a recessive tinting gene. One would think that the large hatcheries would be able to control this, but a backyard breeder might just assume that any hen that comes from a colored egg will also lay colored eggs.

Quote:
Yep hate to say it but mine all have slate to greenish legs and bright green on the bottom of their feet but only one laying green the other three brown.
Now on the other hand my older (5yrs) EE has pale almost yellowish leggs and lays a big green egg every day.
No one has explained the rules to my girls!
What I would really like is some of those bright blue eggs.

I have 5 EE's and I wont know what they lay until august.
big_smile.png
I am hoping for green, pink and blue eggs! I got a male EE with my girls and dont know rather to put him in the butcher pen or keep him for the girls and have little EE's. 4 came from one hatchery and the other 2 came from another hatchery so I hope that ups my odds of colored eggs. One of the girls is a rumpless,. I just love the EEs
23509_dsc01888.jpg

Im hoping she lays blue eggs. I will post a picture of each girl and a picture of each egg. That would be neat if everyone posted a picture of each hen and her egg.

Quote:
Yep. My EE with a single comb lays a white egg with a light pink tint to it. She has the muffs but not a pea comb. Her legs are gray just like her feathers.

My pea combs with muffs lay eggs in various shades of green. Their legs are greenish.

Don't Brahmas and Buckeyes have pea combs? Neither of these breeds lay blue eggs, do they?

That is true, but they never had the blue eggshell allele to begin with. Crossover is possible, where one of the two linked genes is inherited from one chromosome and the other is inherited from the other chromosome, but is only happens about 3% of the time for genes as closely located together as these two genes are.​

Back
Top Bottom