An old Farmer told me this about why I got so many roos this year.....

Not sure if this might be related, but when I was breeding reptiles, male vs female was related to incubator temps. The cooler the temps, more females and warmer temps more males; so you could somewhat control the outcome of any given hatch.

When we got our guinea eggs I was wondering if it holds true for poultry too?

Quote:
Davaroo, I've always wondered - are you polishing your bald head with that cat, or doing the tango with it, or what?
big_smile.png

I'll leave that up to you to decide.
smile.png

----------------------------------------------------------------

As to whether to believe me or not - the same applies.
You can be assured that when I say or write something, it is carefully considered. Sometimes I'm wrong, like here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=191006

Sometimes I'm right. Whether you approve, disapprove or are ambivalent to it - well, the choice yours.

I got 7 staight run chicks and looks like 5 are roos. And wouldn't ya know, the one the kids name Dave is a girl!! We always have a ton of rabbits every year. We thin out the rabbits, barn cats love them!!

I dunno...i think he's onto somehting, at least in as far as it relates to us...we have had a 70/30 male to female ratio with a "pullet" purchase. I also have more male quail than I expected . There are baby rabbits all over the area as well.

Quote:
We actually have our first nesting pair of Red-Tail hawks in the neighborhood this year, cats are not, and have never been, allowed to roam free, and we're still seeing more and more rabbits.

As far as the needle on a string, I've used that for years on various animals (with the needle through a cork) and it DOES work!

I think our society has become very close-minded to things that cannot be scientifically proven, though the old-timers have known about them for many, many years. We, as a society, scoff at them because we think we have "all the answers," when in truth, there's a lot we could learn from them if we would only take the time to listen...

Back
Top Bottom