Another Pet

MonkeyZero

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
Hi
My Parents are somewhat approving of letting me get another pet.
I have lots of space on one side of the yard. Its about 20-30 ft by 6-8 feet wide.
I am looking for something that isnt going to be too noisy, and too expensive to purchase.
I also cannot cover it up.
I was thinking about a sulcatta which was about $100 from a breeder friend of mine, but I worry about it digging.
It will require some clean up on that side since its mostly dried grass and plain.
And builidng an enclosure.
I was thinking quails, but cats may get them...
Or peacocks but its gonna be $150 for the pair which is too much and they fly.
No pigs or cows or horses. Or dogs. I love my two babbies tooooo much to get another.
my hens free range but they dont go on that side of the yard.

Any opinions
smile.png

Last edited:
Hmmm
I heard that goats and sheeps are SUPER destructive and noisy and Stinky even when cleaned after.
I was also considering some bunnies.
I like netherland dwarfs but they might get eaten by the stupid wild cats that show up occasionally but the dogs scare them away.
I Also condidered box turtles but they have strict humidity control and wont do good out doors.
Sulcattas dig which worries me...

I love desert tortoises! Such adorable creatures!
Sadly, the are nearly impossible to find. Ive only found one and it was $200, and at the time, we were financially unstable, and on the verge of losing the house, but luckily things worked out and dad found a job.
smile.png

If I do get a tortoise, Id prefer it get big just so then it wouldnt get lost in all that space or eaten for that matter.

You said in a post you can't " cover them up" I am not sure what you meant exactly but if you mean for shade or shelter all animals should have some sort of shade and/or shelter....year round to either get out of the sun or the cold rain/snow.

Goats get a doe or weather instead of a buck it will be calmer and less destructive hopefully and you should have 2 for company or it will be really noisy could get minis/pygmysn goats their size would help too.

I can provide the shade as there is the house that will be built for them
I did consider a pygmy goat, but heard MANY negative things about them on a care website.
I dont want a large goat as the poop and noise. and it jumping my fence...

As for the rocks, that may work actually!
smile.png

If you have small enough mesh cats aren't much issue. I haven't had them bother rabbits and only had one bother quail enough to cause problems once. The quail were also in a pen with 1.5x1.5" bar spacing. If nothing else I'd probably just enclose the whole space in chicken wire with a door/gate and then build the pens inside and no cat problems. I double fenced a 10x10 herb garden by laying 4x4s and putting hardware cloth on the inside and chainlink on the outside for guinea pigs and rabbits. Took maybe 10hours total to do. Dunno cost since I used all free materials I found in the old barns.

I would expect anything in your area is going to require shade of some sort. It's generally illegal not to provide shade/shelter to any type of animal.

Back
Top Bottom