antibiotics

cwemple

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
For years I have used duramycin 10 for respiratory problems with my chickens, I understand now that the FDA has made it unavailable. What can I use now. I don't have a vet in the area that treats chickens.

Welcome to BYC. Yes most oral antibiotics for animals require a prescription by a vet to help prevent antibiotic resistant bacteria, and that has been law in the US for 18 months.

You can use injectable Tylan 50 orally to treat chronic respiratory disease (MG.) Get it in the cattle section of your feed store. Get syringes with needles to withdraw the medicine, then remove the needle to give it. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound given 3 times a day. Give it for 5 days. If you can only give it twice a day, give 0.3ml per pound. Do you know about how much she weighs? Keep in mind if the respiratory disease is caused by a virus, antibiotics will only treat a bacterial disease, such as mycoplasma (MG, CRD.)

Last edited:
Have you determined that the respiratory problem is bacterial and not either viral, fungal, parasitic, environmental, nutritional or even a bacteria that has no effective treatment?

For years I have used duramycin 10 for respiratory problems with my chickens, I understand now that the FDA has made it unavailable. What can I use now. I don't have a vet in the area that treats chickens.
Have you ever thought about having some testing done to know what you are dealing with?
What state are you in?

Have you determined that the respiratory problem is bacterial and not either viral, fungal, parasitic, environmental, nutritional or even a bacteria that has no effective treatment?
After 24 hrs on the little bit of duramycin I have, the hen is responded well, She is doing much much which is why I have the dilemma of what to do now that the FDA no longer allows it.

After 24 hrs on the little bit of duramycin I have, the hen is responded well, She is doing much much which is why I have the dilemma of what to do now that the FDA no longer allows it.
What do you mean?
You are not sure if you want to continue to give antibiotics or not?

You could try injectable oxytetracyline, doxycycline for fish, doxycycline for birds, or oxytetracyline for fish, but all would probably have to be ordered.

Tylan treats most of the things that oxytetracycline does, and can be used orally or by injection. Injectable oxytetracycline has the possibility of causing muscle pain or damage at the site, as Tylan has been reported to do. I have only used Tylan, both by injection and given orally. Most feed stores sell Tylan 50 or 20 injectable. Tylan 200 is more expensive and 4 times as concentrated as 50, so dosage needs to be reduced.

I'm just curious what is going on that would cause chickens to have ongoing respiratory issues over time.
Keeping chickens off and on for well over 30 years and up to 100 chickens, I've never encountered a respiratory illness. Maybe it is housing/ventilation or management.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom