any archery lovers here? (hunting, target and crossbow welcome)

Crossbow hunter here. compound bow for the past 17-18 years but switched to crossbow 3 years ago due to back surgeries and a shoulder that really wants to get cut... For Canada or any one else wanting to get a step up from their target bow, I highly recommend ArcheryTalk dot com. They have both vertical bows and a forum for crossbows and once you do the free member signup you can use the classifieds. I got my Tenpoint for significantly less than new cost when a wealthier member upgraded :). You just gotta watch the deals. There are members on their from all over the world so its just a matter of posting your own ISO thread or waiting for fate to find you.

Enjoy hunting with your bow though, squirrels, rabbits, ground hogs, and raccoon can be had with a 25lb bow with proper shot placement.

We got another boat this summer and have been doing some fishing. I caught a huge turtle a couple weeks ago! :eek:

We've talked about bow fishing, and were watching some carp this past Saturday, even said "wish i had a fishing bow about now".
Archery season opens this weekend for deer here, but gosh it has been warm. Guess i better get the bow out again and tune it up!
WP_20170903_18_59_24_Pro_LI (2).jpg

Been shooting compounds for about 30 years. Hunted and shot a lot of 3-d tournaments. But shoulder injuries and age made me give them up 4 years ago.

Went to a crossbow for just hunting now. Barnett quad 400.

Deer season is open. Set a few times no deer sighted yet. But crops are still standing.

I'm brand new to compound target archery and hunting. Just got a Genesis Pro for my 18th birthday, not very heavy on the draw so I'm hoping to get in some more target practice before going for squirrels and rabbits!
sounds awesome, i love hunting rabbits, would love to hunt them with a bow.

but i have hunted rabbits with a .22lr and a .30-30 (30-30 was a bad idea all i got was a leg after the shot tasty leg though)

I've just recently bought a longbow...have always wanted to do archery since a child, but only now begun...am looking into joining a club, so am very inexperienced...my partner wants to 'game shoot', but I am interested in targets only...personally, I would love to have a crossbow, but here in Australia you have to registered and such...
i know the feeling. (waiting for my fire arms licence) but here in Canada we don't need a licence to own a cross bow, (due to the fact that if it shoots under 500FPS its not a fire arm/weapon so with that logic a .177 cal air gun that shoots 501 FPS is a firearm by law but a crossbow that shoots 400FPS is not a firearm under the law i don't get it) i would also love to hunt with a bow but are seasons are like 2 months before rifle season and my whole family likes hunting with rifles. so i have no one to hunt with a bow with.

but sounds awesome i love long bows and re-curves, ( i just like primate weapons to hunt with would love me a flintlock rifle lol)

Our rifle season ends tomorrow, but i can go back to my compound bow till the end of the year. :clap

My husband and son both got nice 8-points last weekend with rifles. Hubby is more interested in pistol hunting now.

Recurve and longbow if you want more of a challenge and compound if you don't practice enough or just want meat.

I have shot since I was eight and did lots of it. Made plenty of selfbows and primitive arrows and the like. Hence the Avatar name as it all I thought of in the nineties when i got the internet.

Here is my little 47" tip to tip self bow deflexed recurve an only has about 5# of weight on brace. I switched to a crossbow for meat making at the place i hunt and thinking of trying this again for a while for the challenge.
img_1073.jpg

A fetched arrow here all made from Southern Arrowwood shafts I had gathered years back
img_1071.jpg

The entire story is here if you want to read about it.

Back
Top Bottom