Any Home Bakers Here?

Speaking of eggs...have you all found this thread on how to get perfect hard boiled eggs?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/115799/crazy-easy-way-to-make-hard-boiled-eggs

What you do is boil a pan of water, add salt and gently lower the eggs into the boiling water. Boil them for 14 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and immediately plunge them into a bowl of ice water. Leave them there until they are cool.

I've done this about 6 times now and the eggshells peel right off, sometimes in long strips. No more fussy picking at tiny bits of shell that stick to the egg, no more mangled eggs. The shells peel right off! Perfect results every time I've tried it no matter if the eggs were laid the same day or a week prior. Sure makes deviled eggs look better!

Just had to share, it really, really works.

I thought to mention it as I was making deviled eggs this morning. I know they aren't "baking" but still thought it was handy to know.

You must hand over your devil egg recipe, my aunt pasted way before she taught me how to make those and i havent found a recipe i liked.

I tend to make it a bit differently every time so I don't really have a recipe, it's just whatever sounds good at the time.

I do start with a blob of mayo (the real stuff), usually a bit of very tiny diced onion, sometimes a squirt of mustard (but not always) and salt/pepper. I like to mix it up though with various things...herb de provence is nice, sometimes lemon dill sounds good, sometimes I'll used smoked salt instead of plain. Today I made them with mayo, a little diced onion, a spoon of dill relish, yellow mustard, salt and a pepper blend we have.

It's fun to experiment.

BIG NEWS BAKERS!!!!!!!!!!

Go back to page 1 of this thread...see anything different? An INDEX has been added to make it easier (i.e. possible) to find recipes within the thread.

@sunflour and I worked hard with @sumi getting this set up so I hope you like it. When you scan down through the list of recipes, just click on the blue link to take you direct to the one you want.

Any errors or omissions will be corrected if you just point them out. And once a week Sumi will add new recipes to the index so we can keep it updated.

I hope you enjoy it!

Special thanks to sunflour and sumi...you ladies are the cherry on top of the cupcake!

WE GOT AN INDEX!!!
wee.gif

It was a pleasure to help.

Speaking of eggs...have you all found this thread on how to get perfect hard boiled eggs?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/115799/crazy-easy-way-to-make-hard-boiled-eggs

What you do is boil a pan of water, add salt and gently lower the eggs into the boiling water. Boil them for 14 minutes. Remove from the boiling water and immediately plunge them into a bowl of ice water. Leave them there until they are cool.

I've done this about 6 times now and the eggshells peel right off, sometimes in long strips. No more fussy picking at tiny bits of shell that stick to the egg, no more mangled eggs. The shells peel right off! Perfect results every time I've tried it no matter if the eggs were laid the same day or a week prior. Sure makes deviled eggs look better!

Just had to share, it really, really works.
I searched and read all the threads on site when we first started getting eggs and could not peel them.

But discovered steaming them - I use a rice - veggie electric steamer, 35 minutes and they are perfect every time and easy to peel. You can do this on the stove with a steamer or just a metal colander in a pot of water, but not sure how long to steam that way, but the info is "out there" if anyone wants to try it.
You must hand over your devil egg recipe, my aunt pasted way before she taught me how to make those and i havent found a recipe i liked.

I love deviled eggs and everyone does them a little different. I use Miracle Whip instead of Mayo, prepared mustard and sweet salad cubes. A little salt and pepper. And sprinkle the finished eggs with a sprinkling of paprika for color.

Don't sweat the exact amounts. Mash the yolks, moisten with mayo and add the other stuff you want to try. If too dry, add more mayo, or mustard. A friend of mine adds sour cream with just may.

I make Egg Salad the same way, just chop the entire eggs and use the same ingredients.

I searched and read all the threads on site when we first started getting eggs and could not peel them. 

But discovered steaming them - I use a rice - veggie electric steamer, 35 minutes and they are perfect every time and easy to peel.  You can do this on the stove with a steamer or just a metal colander in a pot of water, but not sure how long to steam that way, but the info is "out there" if anyone wants to try it.

I love deviled eggs and everyone does them a little different.   I use Miracle Whip instead of Mayo, prepared mustard and sweet salad cubes.  A little salt and pepper.   And sprinkle the finished  eggs with a sprinkling of paprika for color.

Don't sweat the exact amounts.  Mash the yolks, moisten with mayo and add the other stuff you want to try.  If too dry, add more mayo, or mustard.  A friend of mine adds sour cream with just may.

I make Egg Salad the same way, just chop the entire eggs and use the same ingredients.

Hmm I'll have to try that; steaming them... I have extra colanders to use! :D

I put a dab of horseradish in my deviled eggs with everything else(mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, paprika on top) ... ;)

Last edited:
Hmm I'll have to try that; steaming them... I have extra colanders to use!
big_smile.png

I put a dab of horseradish in my deviled eggs with everything else(mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, paprika on top) ...
wink.png
Here's a link to stove top steaming, they say 20 minutes. http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/01/hard-steamed-eggs.html
The electric steamers take longer - but I like mine hard boiled. Some sites tell you to puncture the fat end of the egg, but you don't have to puncture them. Iced water is not necessary, I just place them in cool tap water, changing it about 3 times, remove the eggs, dry them off. Experiment with the time to see how cooked you want them.

Thanks sunflour lol i think she used only mustard she was allergic to mayo
If you aren't allergic to mayo, I would suggest you add it. Mayo and eggs are very good together. If you don't like mayo, try the sour cream with mustard.

I love scrambled egg sandwiches - toasted or un-toasted bread, spread some mayo (or miracle whip) on the bread.
My brother liked ketchup on his eggs and egg sandwiches -
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom