Any Home Bakers Here?

Alice28, your picnic dinner sounds great, bet it was fun. Thank you for the recipe for chocolate cheesecake!

ronott1, thank you for the pdf, that helped!

Re: the dilly bread...it was good! Had a bit of trouble getting it out of the pan but the taste was very good. I'll post the recipe tomorrow. Have a good evening everyone!

Your welcome!

I am happy to hear the good report on the dilly bread.

Alice28, your picnic dinner sounds great, bet it was fun. Thank you for the recipe for chocolate cheesecake!

ronott1, thank you for the pdf, that helped!

Re: the dilly bread...it was good! Had a bit of trouble getting it out of the pan but the taste was very good. I'll post the recipe tomorrow. Have a good evening everyone!

No problem on the recipie! I hope you like it! And yes, thanks ronott1 for doing the pdf!

I just make it exactly how it says, then pore in some Kahlua. The first time I think I did 1/4 cup, the the second time I was going to use up the rest of the bottle ( I had it for probably three years!) and went to pore it in, it didn't look like much, but when I pored it, more just kept coming! Lol! But the cheesecake was really good and I got tons of complements! I go by how it looks. I think last time (for my birthday) I did probably a little under 1/2 a cup.
Thanks, gotta try it.

Donna's Dilly Bread

2 1/2 - 3 Cups all-purpose flour
2 Tab sugar
1 Tab minced onion
2 tsp dill seed
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 pkg instant yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 Cup small curd cottage cheese
1/4 Cup water
1 Tab unsalted butter
1 egg

* Combine 1 Cup flour, sugar, onion, dill seed, salt, baking soda & yeast.
* In small saucepan heat cottage cheese, water & butter til very warm (about 120 degrees)
* Add egg & warm liquid to flour mixture. Blend until moist then beat 3 minutes on medium speed. By hand stir in remaining flour to form stiff dough.
* Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour)
* Turn into well-greased loaf pan or casserole dish. (See my note)
* Cover and let rise again until doubled (about 30-45 minutes)
* Bake in pre-heated oven (350 degrees for about 30-40 minutes, or til golden brown
* If desired, brush with butter & sprinkle with coarse salt

My Note: I baked this in a Pyrex bowl and had trouble getting it out after it baked. Next time, I'll just plop the dough on a parchment covered baking sheet.

This has a really nice flavor and soft texture. Definitely bake this one again!

I'm only halfway through all the posts, but wanted to mark this thread and say to the person that shared the banana chocolate chip bread: Wow! :eek:

Mine was a little dark because the only loaf pan I had available at the time was dark. I don't usually use dark pans for that reason, but I wanted to try this bread, and it actually ended up with a nice crisp "crust" around it.

I used the last of the focaccia in ham and swiss (cheddar for me) Panini sandwiches for lunch. So good!
I think I will make a batch of Italian Bread on Monday and drop a loaf off for Mom and Dad,it will give me an excuse to drive up there and see how they are doing. Why I feel I need an excuse is beyond me, but it seems that I do... I need to work on that.

I'm only halfway through all the posts, but wanted to mark this thread and say to the person that shared the banana chocolate chip bread: Wow!
ep.gif

Mine was a little dark because the only loaf pan I had available at the time was dark. I don't usually use dark pans for that reason, but I wanted to try this bread, and it actually ended up with a nice crisp "crust" around it.
Hi, glad you joined us. Your bread looks really good. Are you a tea drinker (beautiful pot in the photo)? DH & I used to have a tea and spice shop and we love our tea.

Hi, glad you joined us. Your bread looks really good. Are you a tea drinker (beautiful pot in the photo)? DH & I used to have a tea and spice shop and we love our tea.

Ha ha, yes, we're big tea drinkers. My little piece of bread looked so lonely all by itself, so I scooted it over by my tea. I did make a second batch and took a closer pic of the yummy choc chips :drool.

Rustic Olive Sourdough Bread - this is only half recipe.

I have only baked this once a year ago . During the mixing had to add more flour and looked ok. But then got worried after the first rise, was soft, sticky. Used a little flour to handle but was afraid to re-knead. Directions are to shape round and all I could do was plop it on my baking pan. Kinda reminded me of the movie The Blob, almost threw it out but decided to see what it would do. After second rise…sprinkle with water and make 2 slashes with a sharp knife - too sticky to cut slashes so, I just poked troughs with the knife. But quite surprisingly it turned out well. NIce soft inside and great crust ( my favorite part).

I think my starter may be getting a little thin and that added more moisture? So after removing some for the bread, fed with more flour, less water than usual. I do remember when I first got my starter going, I always thought it was too thick. QUESTION: how to judge the consistency of a starter? Any opinions?

Here's photos:

1 : THE BLOB
idunno.gif

2: Troughs not slashes.
hmm.png

3: But yummy.
droolin.gif

Rustic Olive Sourdough Bread - this is only half recipe.

I have only baked this once a year ago . During the mixing had to add more flour and looked ok. But then got worried after the first rise, was soft, sticky. Used a little flour to handle but was afraid to re-knead. Directions are to shape round and all I could do was plop it on my baking pan. Kinda reminded me of the movie The Blob, almost threw it out but decided to see what it would do. After second rise…sprinkle with water and make 2 slashes with a sharp knife - too sticky to cut slashes so, I just poked troughs with the knife. But quite surprisingly it turned out well. NIce soft inside and great crust ( my favorite part).

I think my starter may be getting a little thin and that added more moisture? So after removing some for the bread, fed with more flour, less water than usual. I do remember when I first got my starter going, I always thought it was too thick. QUESTION: how to judge the consistency of a starter? Any opinions?

Here's photos:

1 : THE BLOB
idunno.gif

2: Troughs not slashes.
hmm.png

3: But yummy.
droolin.gif

I do not pay attention to the amount of flour in a bread recipe. Too many things can change the amount needed. The moisture content in the flour can be different because of the humidity in your house. You have to get a feel for the dough and add enough flour to get to the correct consistency.

Sourdough will be sticky even when it has enough flour in it. You have to go with how stiff the dough is and if it will form a nice ball. Another thing about bread dough it that slightly wet dough will make a crunchy crust.

The starter should be a bit thick and if it seems too thick or too thin than change the ratio of water to flour. I sometimes add cup of flour and 3\4 cup of water or vise versa.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom