Any Home Bakers Here?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by N F C, Aug 30, 2014.

1. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for helpful comments.

Wish I had the "feel for the dough", but still a novice. I use my bread machine on dough cyle to mix, knead first rise. Learning to tell in first few minutes if I need to add flour or water.
    I have only made sourdough bread a couple of times. To this recipe added drained can of sliced olives which does mess up the wet/dry ratio. Last time I had to add only 3 TBS of extra flour, this time 6-7 TBS.

When my starter was new, I thought it was too thick…BIG MISTAKE…I increased water. Now will work on getting it back to thicker consistency.

Anyway, it turned to delicious…:)

2. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Interesting recipe…bread looks great. Will have to try this sometime…dill, cottage, cheese, onion - Never would have imagined a bread with those ingredients.

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    You can add just flour to your starter if it is that thin. The flour is the important part, water just keeps it at the right consistency.

4. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Yeah, that Dilly Bread was a strange looking recipe but since Donna swore by it (she used to have all her students make it), had to give it a go. I'm glad I did and so is DH...he's the bread connoisseur, I'm just the baker (although I do taste everything). We really enjoyed it toasted.

Interesting posts on starters. I've never used one so I'm trying to learn from you all.

5. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Will do. Last feed I added extra flour and less water, never thought about just adding flour...

6. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I had one a few years ago- good stuff, I love how versatile it is! I have the recipe to start it, I will get some started and will gladly send you a starter bag. I'll will post on this thread for anyone else who wants a starter. I'm so considering sending off for the sourdough starter posted in here earlier.... [​IMG] I absolutely love breads!

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

You will really like the starter--It makes really good things.

Like this:

Sourdough Bagels

1 envelope yeast 1/2 C sourdough
    1 C warm water (110) 31/2 C flour
    3 Tbl. Sugar(5 doubled) 3 qts. boiling water
    2 tsp salt 1 egg beaten

In a bowl, combine yeast, warm water, sugar, salt, starter, and 21/2 C of the flour. Beat on medium speed with dough hook or electric mixer until dough pulls from sides of bowl, about 5 minutes. With dough hook or heavy spoon, gradually beat in 1 more C flour. Turn onto a floured board and kneed, adding flour if required, until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Turn dough over in a greased bowl to coat all sides. cover with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
    Punch dough down and cut into 12 equal pieces; form each piece into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and let rest 15 minutes. poke a hole in the center of each piece and stretch until hole is about 3 inches in diameter. Arrange, 2 inches apart, on two 12x15 inch greased baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand until puffy, about 20 minutes. In a 5-6 quart kettle, bring 3 quarts of water to boiling. Carefully lift bagels off baking sheet with a wide metal spatula and drop, 3 at a time, into water. Boil until puffy, about 1 minute per side. Lift out with a slotted spoon and drain briefly of paper towels. Arrange bagels, slightly apart, on the same baking sheets and brush tops with beaten egg. Bake in a 375° oven until tops are golden brown, about 20 min. Serve warm; or cool, cover, refrigerate overnight (freeze to store longer, then thaw wrapped). If cold, split and toast.

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    If you get one started, I would love to try it. I've never had a starter but would like to try using one.

9. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Decided to try Alice28's chocolate cheesecake for a V-day treat. I won't be able to get to the store in the next couple days so I'm going to make a new recipe for chocolate wafer cookies and crush them for the crust.

What do you think, that should be good right?

10. Alice28

Alice28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Yummy! I bet that will be good! Let us know how it works! Your making me want to make a cheesecake! Haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by