Any Home Bakers Here?

The problem with homemade bread at our house is that we eat it too fast. 1/2 a loaf for two people for a meal is probably too much bread ... It is too much like Lays Potato Chips, we can't eat just one slice.
YES...I just made a loaf of your 1 hour Italian Bread...I timed it and it raised to the top of the tin in 20 minutes. It is in the oven now. I LOVE this recipe. Mix shape and in oven. PERFECT. Regards, Aria

The problem with homemade bread at our house is that we eat it too fast. 1/2 a loaf for two people for a meal is probably too much bread ... It is too much like Lays Potato Chips, we can't eat just one slice.
That problem gets better over time though. One trick is to get the bread into the freezer ASAP!

It has to cool before you can freeze it. Ours barely makes it to room temp. Cool enough to touch is about as long as DH can wait, lol!
Nothing in the world better than warm bread with melted butter. - once I put a slice of bread with some shredded medium cheddar on the top of the woodstove (on a piece of aluminum foil). Darn near heaven when the cheese was melted.

I think we will start getting better about bread this winter. My plan is to make a batch every week or so of whole wheat bread. Since we are both dieting, grinding wheat and making bread will fill the whole grain niche somewhat. I will be trying multi-grain breads also.

Post the recipes for the New York Times No-Knead and the Artisan bread, please. They look wonderful!

It has to cool before you can freeze it. Ours barely makes it to room temp. Cool enough to touch is about as long as DH can wait, lol!
Nothing in the world better than warm bread with melted butter. - once I put a slice of bread with some shredded medium cheddar on the top of the woodstove (on a piece of aluminum foil). Darn near heaven when the cheese was melted.

I think we will start getting better about bread this winter. My plan is to make a batch every week or so of whole wheat bread. Since we are both dieting, grinding wheat and making bread will fill the whole grain niche somewhat. I will be trying multi-grain breads also.

Post the recipes for the New York Times No-Knead and the Artisan bread, please. They look wonderful!
Exactly!
My Family is so used to home made bread that they often ignore it out of the oven. I occasionally buy a baguette but make bread not much of that either.

Made corn bread on Sunday and I ground corn to make the cornmeal. I am the only one eating it. Trust me, the cornbread is awesome!

My DD is using an app for calories each day and my DW thinks it tastes too sweet. Real corn flavor mis interpreted as sweet!

I have the cornbread in the freezer and have one piece with dinner. Luckily I do not really care about stuff like that and enjoy it anyway!

Artisan 3 cups lukewarm water
l 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 11/2 tablespopms loser sa;t
6 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
cornmeal on the peel
MIX WITH A SPOON A FOOD SAFE LARGE BUCLET...LET IT RISE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
FOR 2 TO 5 HOURS. THEN INTO THE FRIDGE FOR TWO WEEKS. TEAR OFF CHUNKS SHAPE REST AND BAKE AS NEEDED. 450 DEGREESD OVEN ON BAKING STONE MIDDLE RACK. LET REST ON PEEL40 MINUTES. THE DOUGH SLIGHTLY...WOBBLE.
NOTES: DON;T KNEAD ...JUST STIR WITH WOODEN SPOON. WHEN SHAPING...DON'T FORCE AIR OUT..WORK WITH FLOUR AND YOUR HANDS TO SHAPE. PLACE ON A WOODEN PEEL WITH CORNMEAL...SLASH CROSS OR DIAGIONAL ACROSS. THIS recipe came from showcase.minnesota.com....search Bread.

I Simply: Mixed left at room temp to rise 2 to 5 hours. (kept in fridge 2 weeks)
Tear off chunks ...shape rise about 40 minutes

NO KNEAD BREAD...NEW YORK TIMES
3 CUPS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR or bread flour
1/4 teaspoon yeast
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
I mixed at 8 pm and let raise 18 hours
I rolled out 2 pm the next day............ 3:30pm went into the oven 450 degree oven
I put in ceramic pan....4 pm dough in oven COVER Pan in oven Baked 30 minutes.

We need an extra fridge before I could try that here although I might be shot for doling out bread that way @Aria
Sorry...that is Koser Salt and Bucket. These Breads are FINE...but the one I just baked woDreamer....was Perfect. Just took it out of oven. Now I am waiting for the pizza to raise and bake. Love working with Yeast. Regards, Aria

Back
Top Bottom