Any Home Bakers Here?

I’ve been baking sourdough for months and months now, using my starter (Penny Jo) made from Penny’s recipe. Anyhow it is recommended to use an active bubbly starter. A few days ago I fed Penny Jo and she foamed up a little, but by the time I was ready to mix my dough she had settled down and nearly no bubbles. I thought maybe I’d have a flat loaf but you know that loaf had the most open texture and at least as much oven rise as any loaf I’ve baked so far. I was really happy with the results but surprised.
Active and bubbling would make it rise faster but it will still work if it is not bubbly.

Last edited:
My mother made a wonderful applesauce cake too. I still I have her recipe written in her own handwriting. Still makes my eyes leak sometimes when I find something she wrote. She’s been gone since 1988, it’s just ridiculous that I’ve lived more of my life without her than with her!
I know exactly what you mean. I'm in the same boat.

My mother made a wonderful applesauce cake too. I still I have her recipe written in her own handwriting. Still makes my eyes leak sometimes when I find something she wrote. She’s been gone since 1988, it’s just ridiculous that I’ve lived more of my life without her than with her!

I understand exactly what you are saying. My mom died in 2003. She was 81 years old at that time and I was 57. She wasn't the best cook although there were some items she was really good at cooking.

My chocolate cupcake with cream cheese frosting and coffee ice cream. The swan was a cute accident.
9C497344-C307-4EB1-999E-3E034A0BA774.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom