Any hunters/hunter wives?

DH did the rifle and shotgun campout with scouts, but that's it.

No TIME for hunting in his family (family business) so just never been there.

My dad used to do the deer thing, but he likes his recliner better than a hide at 4am.

Not a huge fan of deer anyways, so it's no major loss for me there.
But, the wild duck my Granny cooked up... *drool* OH MY Godiva that was amazing.
Wouldn't mind him bagging one of those.

I haven't eaten wild duck personally, but I have a bunch of recipes for it and REALLY wanna make it! And pheasant!

Quote:
Pheasant is AWESOME. It's somewhere between chicken and turkey. Personally, I don't care for duck...but that's just me...
wink.png

For all of y'all that hunt and do your own processing, where do you suggest a person learn how to do that? (That's cutting them up and freezing, right?) I don't know any hunters and never have hunted, but deer bring their fawns to play in my front yard at night, so they're definitely around here. lol

In scouts they actually watch a film on field dressing a deer... lucky me I got to take DS to that meeting... darned if I didn't recall I needed to hit the book store.
sickbyc.gif

One more reason I don't hunt. I hate the cleaning, and I'm of the 'you caught it you clean it' school... don't want to clean it (or eat it for that matter) so no point in bagging it. Cleaned my fair share of fish, LOVE trout, but no mammals or birds as yet.

Granny made wild duck in gravy... served with tators and whatnot the first time I took DH to meet the family up in Ark. It was SO good, but you can only eat like 3 bites before you are STUFFED. Kinda like cheesecake that way.

Quote:
To learn to hunt, talk to your local wildlife office about the hunting/licensing requirements in your area. I learned to process and wrap by myself - I'm an avid cook, so I know meat cuts. I just started butchering like I saw meat cuts in the store, and it only took one deer for me to be fast and proficient at it. Gutting was the same for me, I just kinda dove in up to my elbows.

However, there are lots of books with carcass diagrams and butchering instructions that you can buy, too. Some "butchering kits" at your local outdoor/hunting store come with manuals and instructions on how to get started.

Quote:
That's terrifying. Mine was a bit calmer, as I wasn't pregnant, but I remember thinking to myself, "Is this gonna be the last time I close my eyes?" when I went into surgery. And then I thought "don't think of that don't think of that don't think of that" to stop PANICKING!!! When I heard "Get 'er open quickly" I just started to cry, and then went to sleep. How traumatic, isn't it?

I don't miss my appendix one bit.

....So how bout that duck with gravy? Someone pass me a plate! LOL sorry for the appendix hijack

For ladies interested in learning about the outdoors, I'd like to recommend: Women in the Outdoors (WITO) this is put on by the National Wild Turkey Foundation.
and Becoming an Outdoors Woman (BOW)

I've taught bowfishing classes at the WITO events. The events are fun and very laid back.
Depending on the event you can learn everything from backing a trailer to pistol shooting. They are very diverse.
smile.png

BTW, here's a bio on me: img/smilies/big_smile.png" alt="big_smile" />">http://www.campwildgirls.com/2010/06/junes-woman-of-the-wild-christine-appleberg/

Back
Top Bottom