Any idea what's up with my chick?

Try wetting some of the chick feed. Similar to how you'd handle a crossbeak, it may be easier for it to eat wet feed in a deep dish.

I can't remember when... but someone had a post last year maybe, where a chick actually had its tongue sticking out of an opening in the lower beak. I'm wondering if this is similar, except the tongue isn't exposed.

I brought him/her in for some time alone with the food bowl and chicky fell asleep on my hand on the journey. I gave my hoodie to the cause of keeping him warm and he slept there while i worked from home for about an hour which seemed unusual also. There is another one that's similar but not as severe. Does anyone recognize the breed and if so, should I let the hatchery or breeder know?

20200326_145332.jpg

20200326_152729.jpg

IMG_20200326_152823_01.jpg

I'd guess it's a genetic anomaly.
Yes, I'd let them know.
Where did you get the hatching eggs?
Depends on the breed. If it's a jersey giant, it's a hatchery chick. If it's an australorp, they were hatching eggs from a local breeder. If it's an olive egger, they were hatching eggs from yet another source. They all hatched within a few days time to be part of the same clan, but since these two are about half the size of the others and with unusual features, I can't quite say which they are. I went back through the just hatched and 1 week old pics and still can't say which they are as none of them had these features at that time and have all changed since then, but have similar markings.

I hope this little guy makes it. My husband has affectionately dubbed him Danny DeVito for his short round little form and somewhat scruffy feathers. We hope he is a success and are way more attached than we should be considering.

Too bad you didn't mark or separate eggs in bator and band.
How many chicks total?
Leg and feet color might help differentiate.
Don't know exactly but I think AU and JG have different feet color.
Might post pics in the 'what breed' forum.

Too bad you didn't mark or separate eggs in bator and band.
How many chicks total?
Leg and feet color might help differentiate.
Don't know exactly but I think AU and JG have different feet color.
Might post pics in the 'what breed' forum.
That would have been a very good plan. 27 total chicks. They're pretty much a swarm at this stage. I'll look up the feet colors, thanks for the tip. If I can't get narrow it down enough from that, I'll post in the breed forum. Thanks :)

That would have been a very good plan. 27 total chicks. They're pretty much a swarm at this stage. I'll look up the feet colors, thanks for the tip. If I can't get narrow it down enough from that, I'll post in the breed forum. Thanks :)
Do you know what cross your OE's are?

Back
Top Bottom