Any idea what's up with my chick?

AgnesGray

Free Ranging
Mar 8, 2019
Ohio, US
My Coop
My Coop
Two of my leap day chicks of the same breed (bonus points if you can help identify breed) have a lump under their beaks. This one worse than the other. Could it be genetic or food related? The other chicks have started pecking at it and I'm going to have to separate them.

Screenshot_20200324-095528_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200324-095403_Photos.jpg

They do get chick grit and chick crumbles.

Breed possibilities are black jersey giant, australorp, maran, olive egger. Any helpful tips? Thanks in advance!

I think it has developed. I didn't notice it until yesterday. And they're all about 3 weeks old give or take a few days. I'll try to grab a few better pics now.

I do have 27 chicks in the brooder and try to stay in touch with them all, but can't swear I would have seen this even if there before.

Is the lump hard or soft. Dont squeeze to hard. Tagging a few others who may have seen this..

@aart @Kiki @casportpony
Thanks for the tags.

It's not overly hard (not feeling like it could burst) or overly squishy from what I could tell in my quick check of the wiggly little chicky. We wondered at first if it had eaten something that could be stuck in the throat, but I don't see anything like that. Could still be, but I haven't been able to find it.

His front beak is way longer than the underbeak. I had a look in his mouth. I have no real idea what i was looking at, but he seemed to have a not straight tongue. His feathers also seem a little worn and I'm wondering if he's getting proper nutrition. He also eats with a significant amount of front and back head motion. I made him some scrambled egg in the hopes of getting some food in him (or her?). I guess we'll see how it goes.

Another one of the same breed has slightly similar attributes, but not nearly as pronounced and not interfering with eating or daily activities.

Back
Top Bottom