Any ideas on the breed?

bobby33

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
I have a 2 month old (what I and others think) drake. At first it was presumed to be a welsh harlequin but now that he's grown its hard to tell what he really is.
Can anyone help? I have had suggestions of him being an Elizabeth. I'm located in Australia and got him (and an Ancona mix) from a local duck breeder. She breeds all types of ducks and they can all mix. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

WH go through many feather color changes as hey mature. Each molt they look like almost completely different ducks! When they are immature it's common for the males to look like females and the females to look like males. Only time will tell I guess. Unless someone else recognizes him/her as a different breed. In another few months, hel get his tail feather and hen you'll know he's a boy. Unless he's a girl then we'll see eggs!

Oh, also: does he quack? If he has a loud Quack and not a gravelly raspy voice, then you've got yourself a duck and not a drake. I think by now you should be able to tell by its voice.

Last edited:
He did sort of have a honk when he was a few weeks old but it went away. His "quack" has gotten softer and there hasn't been any sound like a quack since. My Ancona has made more honking noises the past couple of weeks. But it comes and goes. Sometimes it'll sound like its going to change to a drake. Does he/she have an identity crisis?

Thanks for all your help :)

Back
Top Bottom