Anybody play violin?

I would love to learn the fiddle...but I am practically tone deaf and I cannot read music. I tried piano as a child and I think my teacher asked my mom to let me quit
hmm.png

Quote:
That is a really nice memory and I can just picture it in my mind...except for the part where you say "I don't lay"....is your alter ego a chicken?..... sorry could not resist and ROFL.....
hugs.gif
....sorry sorry still killing myself laughing...leaving the board now......ROFL......

LOL

No, but then again one of my hens doesnt lay either.

I play 2nd violin in a community orchestra (or do, rather, when work isn't totally chaotic!).

Not brave enough to go for 1st violin. I just don't have enough practice time.

I started in the Suzuki program in kindergarten and stuck with it all the way through high school. Did regional and state youth orchestra, etc.

Then I got to college, was fortunate enough to have opportunity for "free" lessons in the music department, and discovered I had been doing everything 100% completely wrong all along. Argh. Changing 13 years of entrenched technique was just too much for me and after a year or two of frustration I quit.

I've picked it up a few times since then, just to noodle around for fun, but not much for the past 15 yrs due to violin problems. My original violin cracked, then my sister gave me hers (she went thru pretty much the same trajectory as me) but now the soundpost has fallen over and the bow needs rehairing to be useable and I just can't see paying money for that just for fun right now.

I should at least see what it'd cost though... eh, I dunno.

Pat

I went and picked up my violin today from the music store. It's rent-to-own, so it's only about $30 a month for me and that will cover any repairs or problems automatically. If you live in a big city, you may have a music store nearby with a similar deal (cheaper than going out and purchasing an instrument all at once by far!).

Quote:
What community? I play in a little one of those type things, too. About the only time I have gotten to be a first violiner is when we rehearsed Nutcracker but didn't even perform it. Anything you are working on right now? I am learning Marzurka by Emil Mlynarski and our little orchestra thing is doing Brandenburg Concerto and Overture to Lucio Silla,...

I play with my local community college orchestra, which is happy to have the extra players when there are few musicians in the school itself.

I've taken this quarter off due to a heavy work load. They're playing a Beethoven piece. Not sure what's on the docket next quarter.

My bow nedes to be rehaired - YAY! more money out the window!! - so I need to get it fixed before spring quarter picks up again.

Back
Top Bottom