anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

sprouts are such a super food, it's a shame not to feed them to everyone in the family: people, chickens, etc.

Soy sprouts have to be cooked just like soybeans have to be. You can sprout them then roast the sprouts in the oven for a bit. I also just get non-GMO organic soybeans from my co-op and roast them in the oven and then grind them a little.

Sproutman's book on sprouting has lots of info on how long to grow different sprouts to optimize the nutritional quality. It varies quite a bit from one seed/grain to another and I was surprised that the the optimal length of time is longer than I had thought. This is based on research. Many nutrient factors were studied. Most sprouts are more nutritious when they are a good bit longer than the seed--like inches. That being said, any size of sprout is hugely superior to nonsprouted grains/seeds.

It's also important to get non-treated seeds. Seeds grown for actually growing the plants are sometimes treated with fungicides, etc. Best to get seeds grown just for sprouting and human/animal consumption.

We use to bake muffins with wheat sprouts, had to stop because we were putting on weight because the muffins were soooo good. Too much sugar
lol.png

"Warmth just like a brooder light"....hey that got me thinking. I could just set the jar near the brooder light which is always on. If this is for the chickens, I don't need to worry too much about dust and contamination right? For the ones that I am going to eat, I'll just leave the jar near my dryer which seems to be always on these days!

I must reinterate to make sure that the seeds you sprout are non treated. You don't want to be giving your chicks fungicides and the such.
You might want to call local feed dealers or health food co-ops. You might be able to purchase in bulk and save money.

My kitchen is cold in the winter. When I make bread, what I do is turn my electric oven on at the lowest temperature for a few seconds, then turn it off. That's enough to get it warmer than room temperature, but not warm enough to kill the yeast. It really does make my dough rise faster.

Quote:
Hmmm..
Interesting.. May have to try that one day. (Being the probiotic nut case that I am...
roll.png
)

I do use my sprout rinse water to water the indoor garden seedlings. I just have to believe their must be some chemical signals given off by 1000's of grains sprouting all at once!

ON

"I just have to believe there must be some chemical signals given off by 1000's of grains sprouting all at once!"

ON, that is my kind of thinking, lol. LOVE IT!!

Back
Top Bottom