anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

While I have sprouted grains and beans before, I have never seen an answer to this question: are you supposed to eat the sprouts before they have green leaves developing?

Thanks for your answers!

Quote:
Yes, my daughter who is a director of the Raw Foods Institute in Atlanta, Georgia, suggests that for the most nutrients and enzymes, eating them as soon as the sprout is HALF the size of the seed itself, i.e., it should not take much more than two days depending on the seed and temperature before the seeds are ready to be eaten.

Last edited:
Do the sprouts need to be kept in a warm area or can they just be room temp? We are not having a lot of sun either....so how much sun is necessary. This totally intrigues me!
clap.gif

I have tried sprouting before but never had good luck with it. I think my house is to cold. the temp is set at 53 degrees at night and during the day when we are not at home. What sprouts at lower temps, or other suggestions?!

What a great idea.

Went out and bought some oats and wheat from the local feed store and have the first batch soaking right now.
clap.gif

Quote:
Unless you are going to let them 'green up', you don't need light. I soak, usually overnight, then rinse in the morning and just set the jar tilted so it can drain in my dish drainer. Then I rinse and let drain in the middle of the day and in the evening until they sprout to what I want.

Alfalfa and clover seeds are tiny: 2 Tablespoons of seeds will fill a quart jar in about 4 to 5 days. When the jar is full, I take them out and 'float' them in a big bowl of water. That way I can separate the sprouts from the seed hulls; the hulls will mostly float and you can scoop them off. Save them for the compost bowl if you like. Then I drain the sprouts and leave them in the bowl near my kitchen window to 'green up' before eating or storing in the refrigerator, but you don't have to green them. I store them in a big plastic (I know, plastic isn't good) bag with a paper towel in the bottom to absorb any extra water.

Wheat seeds are done differently. Soak overnight, rinse in the morning and let drain and repeat just like alfalfa or clover but it only takes a couple of days. You want the little 'tail' to be no longer than the original wheat grain. You can make a very nutritious, fermented drink called Rejuvelac with the wheat sprouts. (Soft, red wheat is best for this). Just take about a cup of sprouts and combine in a blender full of filtered water. Just blend for a few seconds, just enough to kinda break up the sprouts. Put it in a glass pitcher covered with cheesecloth, leave it at room temperature (like on your kitchen counter) and stir with a wooden spoon or chopstick at least three times a day. After 3 days, taste it. It should smell like sauerkraut and taste like sparkling lemon water! Really. Once it is like you like it, strain the solids out (you can make another batch with them or feed them to the chickens) and keep the Rejuvelac in the refrigerator for a few days. The probiotics are so good for you and it tastes good. You can sweeten it with a little honey if you like. Start with drinking about 1/2 cup and increase the amount daily. Try it and let everybody here know how it worked for you!

Back
Top Bottom