anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

I just started sprouting some of my grains my boss hard red wheat and split peas. I am on day 3 and the boss and split peas are looking good but the wheat isn't doing so well. My guess is its too old and the idiots that got it didn't store it properly. Some of it is sprouting and some of it isn't I really need to take a pics and post it. I found a great article on sprouting http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Sprouting.html There method is pretty close to what I am doing. The is some videos on youtube that you could check out also.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the wheat that doesn't sprout. Soaked wheat would be good chicken food as well, so long as it hasn't started to rot. Don't feed them any more of it than they will eat at a sitting and keep what ever you have given up on sprouting in the refrigerator until you are ready to give it to the chickens. I never heard of sprouting corn, but I'm probably going to try it.

Quote:
Black Oil Sunflower Seed..
wink.png

I sprout quite a bit.. So I have two 5 gallon pails. one nests inside the other (All the way to the bottom.) I drilled many small holes in the bottom of the inner pail.. I soak grains at least overnight, then drain and rinse with cold water. I fill the pail with cold water, and then pull out the inner pail out to drain the water at least twice a day, some times more.

ON

I eat sprouts all the time and didn't even think about the chickens eating them! I have learned so much from this site not only for my chooks but for me!! This is great. have to start sprouting more so my babies can have some too! This will be great for winter months.,

Ernie

Thanks for the link Noodleroo...My SIL has been a living food person for some time... They have a high end juicer, and get to enjoy wheat grass juice, and other veg juices regularly..
big_smile.png

---
OK chickens..
lol.png

Sprouting can increase the protein of a grain by up to 50%... ! IMO it makes them a great higher protein treat! Plus the living food aspect...

Remember you have to let the sprout get longer than the seed/grain. At first it becomes carbs/sugars, then the protein comes in as it grows..

ON

Quote:
Me too! I read a pamplet some years ago written by Ann Wigmore. It made so much sense to me. Here's a link with a little info about living foods:
http://annwigmore.org/living_foods.html

Thanks Noodleroo
Liked the info and the link that is definetly a keeper for me! Like I said I have been eating sprouts and juicing for a while and am totally interested in the concept for the chickens also!

Ernie

I just picked up a bunch of boxed sprouts, free from the back of our local Farm Market. They had gone the past due date, they looked fine to me.
Alfalfa, mixed, onion, sunflwrs etc. the birds loved them

Back
Top Bottom