Anyone else get their MPC special? **Pics and updates**

hangin'witthepeeps :

Ok SunnyChic, I need to know. What makes you think that the chicks are Brown Leghorns? I have 10 of those. I have noticed subtle differences between the chicks. What finally convinced you? I believe that some of mine are Brown Leghorns (more brown & golden) and some are Welsummers (more rusty red)?

My Leghorns look a little different as well from day one. Some a little tan, some darker brown. At 5 wks old today, some look gamey with the tails.

Last night, I went back to the MPC website to compare pics and discovered that they have many different kinds of non-white leghorns.

LinK: http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/Leghorn-Non-White-B66.aspx

Well, that just adds to my confusion. You would think by week 7 I would be able to tell something. When do they grow those dang earlobes?
tongue.png

ETA: Of the 5 top hats I have one is a rooster, he is comical. He is splash colored and fights with just about everybody, event the waterer.
lol.png

Last edited:
Looks like you might have a lot of roos in that mix. All of mine I ordered that had the Hawk like markings all turned out to be roos. I took them to a local farm and gosh darn are they beautiful right now as 6 months old.

hangin'witthepeeps :

Ok SunnyChic, I need to know. What makes you think that the chicks are Brown Leghorns? I have 10 of those. I have noticed subtle differences between the chicks. What finally convinced you? I believe that some of mine are Brown Leghorns (more brown & golden) and some are Welsummers (more rusty red)?

I would love it if some of them turn out to be Welsummers! Since it's the "rainbow layer assortment," and leghorns seem to be somewhat plentiful at hatcheries, I figured that's what they probably are...anthonyjames, I think you're right about the roos, too.​

Mine are 3 weeks old today and doing great. I will take new pics IF it ever quits raining
sad.png

Sunnychic I have alot that look like yours so thanks for helping me decide what they might be.
How can you tell the white rocks from the white leghorns?

The White Rocks (I'm thinking they're White Rocks) started out with a gray tinge throughout their yellow fluff and there is now a distinct size difference - the rocks are big & heavy compared to the smaller and daintier White Leghorns.

White Rocks:

White Leghorns:

Ohhhhhh, thanks. I have looked at so many chick pics trying to decide what I have. I have one super big baby that was gray and yellow, so I guess that answers that question. I have 4 smaller ones that were all yellow and now have white wing and tail feathers.
I don't think I will ever figure out the black-ish or brown-ish ones they change every day
smile.png

These gals are getting BIG, and some of them almost have their feathers in completely! Here's a group shot at 4 weeks (they're finally too big to pose on my kitchen counter!
lol.png
):

24456_mpc_071.jpg

Here's one of my Leghorn girls with almost all her feathers in; interestly enough, she's my friendliest one , and she loves for me to pet her chest:

24456_mpc_080.jpg

How's everyone else's doing?

Back
Top Bottom