Anyone else living without AC in the heat?

Last year we didn't use a/c much because of the cost, as I was unemployed. Last year it got cool amost every night, I would crank up the fans with every window open and it would be 65 in the house in the morning and I would wake up cold! I know it can be done!
I don't have a/c in my truck either, and most of the time I do OK but eventually the sun will get to you! I live on Gatorade it seems like.

Good thing we're doing better this year, coz it hasn't gotten below 80 most nights, plus it's been unbearably muggy even if it did get a bit cooler --- like I couldn't see out the windows coz they fogged up so bad and the inside temp was only 78!
In the 102+ afternoons my central a/c is struggling to keep it under 85 inside, and we just had it "serviced" Monday, so I guess we're just screwed. No insulation in the walls and no shade = hot hot hot! I know there are people in the neighborhood who don't have a/c though. They sit on their porches a lot.

I couldn't imagine going without AC here. We keep it set at 80. I don't think our houses today are built to manage the heat like they were in the past.

Quote:
Exactly!!! Houses today are built to keep electric heat/air in. They fail miserably in the absense of

Older houses were designed to be cool without a/c. Heck, I've even gone in simple "bathhouses" (public bathroom/shower at a campground) that were built back in the day to stay cool in the summer without a/c and guess what - they were cool!!

Never owned A/C in my life. I have 2 ceiling fans in the house, and 3 stand alone fans that seldom get used. Usually around 11 every morning and continuing through the day and night, the winds come gushing through where I live and I keep all the windows closed on the north side of the house, seldom open them as everything goes flying off the walls and shelves, and believe it or not, its actually cold inside the house year round, more so in the summer months! House slippers are a must in my house year round unless you like walking on the floors that feel like ice! I went out and bought a portable heater in May for the cold nights and the sale person asked me where I was taking it to, not thinking I would need one living here in Hawaii. Try living at the 2000 ft. elevation and you would own a heater too. The hottest its been here all summer is the upper 90's. Never use the air conditioner in the cars either. I always carry a jacket around with me whenever I go into an establishment because the air conditioner is always so frickin cold! 70 degrees is cold for me, I am dressed for winter year round. Is something wrong with this picture?

Quote:
I'm right there with you! I have low blood pressure and I do get cold easily, especially when sitting still. I wear layers to restraunts
roll.png

I'm thinking in this heat, you SHOULD be able to wear those strappy cute summer clothes (yes I have the bod for it) but nooooooo once you walk inside a building it's like walking into a refrigerator! Especially if you are sweaty from being outside it's all the worse! My sister said it well when she said that certian places that are suffering in the economy could save a few bucks if they didn't keep their buildings at 50 degrees all summer
old.gif

HOT! Have a/c now,always turning temp up. Grew up w/o it though. Cinder block house with clay shigles (equivalent to adobe) had awnings and big porches w/lots of shade. Drew drapes during day and opened at night with big window fan. Spent weekends at lake usually in water. I have spent years in NJ and Chicago. At the young age of 19 I stated I would never spend another winter in Chicago...and I haven't.It IS a nice place to visit.

If I had to live without it in Alabama, I think I'd move. Imagine stepping outside and breaking into a full-body sweat within 30 seconds. The humidity has been awful this summer. With temps around 100, our central air conditioner has been running a lot, in addition to two dehumidifiers. This has resulted, unfortunately, in the worst two electric bills ever, totaling $700.00. I wonder what August's bill will be.

No A/C here. We have hot days but manage to do pretty well. One of theese summers we will put a new central air unit in. The good thing s, it keeps some people from visiting.

our farm house was equipped with thermo pane windows, our first summer here we were dying and wondering why int he world they would install such large windows, then winter came and I realized the reason. at minus 30 C. the windows would heat up the whole front of the house avoiding the need to use the furnace in these rooms so we could close the vents and allow other parts of the house to warm up. Anyhow by the second summer I bought reflective sheets to keep the sun out during the hot weather, works like a charm, I bought the reflective rescue sheets, the ones you use in emergency situation when you are out in the woods or stranded etc, and it keep my house 20 degrees cooler than without them. a couple window fans and even at 36 C its very nice in here.

During a heat wave last summer though I was forced to go buy a window unit cost like 100 bucks, my kids were having a hard time handling the heat and my dogs were no better off, there was no breeze was so ever and it was 38C for 5 days. the window unit only gets used for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom