Anyone else's chickens tearing up your yard?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4boyz, Apr 3, 2012.

1. 4boyz

4boyz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    I have 4 hens and I quite enjoy them roaming my yard, but they are destroying it. Mulch is strewn everywhere. They scratch and dig right at the base of my plants. They are eating all of the new growth that is coming in. I'm worried that they are going to kill the tender plants before they have a chance to grow. My tulips have all been eaten. And to top it off, they have dug up my drip system pipes, so I have to go back and re-attach them to all of my plants. I'm about to ban them to their run indefinitely, but I know they love to roam the yard. Anyone else have this problem?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Anyone else's chickens tearing up your yard?

No. Just my own.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How large is your yard? My ducks did quite a bit of damage to my backyard over a few months

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    LOL. Mine looks like a sandy miniture minefield. I like dumping leaves in a big pile in the backyard where the chickens are. They pulverize it down into tiny bits and pieces in no time lol.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. 4boyz

4boyz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    oops. I knew that didn't sound quite right. :)
    My yard is smallish, but not that small. We have a lot of mulch and plants instead of grass. They go everywhere.

7. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    All mine are confined to an area that isn't landscaped...except for my grow out pen chicks...and they have desimated my landscaping around my deck...thank goodness that most are bulbs and hopefully will regrow next year once they are up in the big coops!!!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  8. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    [​IMG][​IMG]

That is why mine will be have a run attached to their coop .... the wife has a plant business ...

9. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    We have 18 acres in the Colorado mountains and my little flock of 7 only get out of their run about an hour a day, 5 days a week since a bobcat killed #8. While the chickens by no means use the entire 18 acres, the places they favor have multiple dirt baths dug into them, areas where all the vegetation has been scratched down to the bare dirt and generally signs of use and abuse. We don't have a bunch of topsoil here so the vegetation is fragile but still...they are destructive!

10. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    You are going to have chickens eating plants and digging up your yard if they have access to your yard. That is the nature of chickens. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you want to keep the yard pretty you're going to have to confine the birds. You are not going to *break* them of being chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by