Anyone have Blue Wheaten Ameracaunas?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by countyroad1330, Dec 14, 2007.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I hear these are hard to find purebred, but I would LOVE a pair, standard or bantam. I will even hatch eggs, if they are purebred.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  2. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  3. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Thanks for the links! I can't believe there is actually a breeder listed in Oklahoma! I don't think they have Wheaten, though. I have been warned about hatcheries, and I don't want to order a large amount anyway. So, why does a Georgian have a 'sooner' name??

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  4. rich

rich New Egg

Apr 1, 2007
    SW Ohio
  5. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    I have 10 Standard Wheaton Ameracana chicks right now... 5 boys 5 girls.... how many do ya want?? [​IMG]
    I can ship them when the weather warms up... wouldnt want to send chicks now.... they are about 4-6 weeks old. I dont have photos of the chicks but I can take some for you.

They lay robins egg blue eggs. One hen is laying now, but Id be afraid of freezing during shipping.

Here is their daddy.
    [​IMG]

and here is one of his daughters from this year.

[​IMG]

These photos are not current, but I could take more if ya want.

6. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
  7. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    They are so pretty! Is the roo in Soonerdog's avatar an Ameraucana? I wanted Wheaten, but I didn't realize there were so many colors. Where could I find decent pictures of all the colors?

I was wanting eggs instead of chicks, because shipping is so expensive on live birds, and it would be hard to open a box and find deceased chickies. [​IMG]

8. soonerdog

soonerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Countyroad, the roo in my avator is an Ameraucana......I guess you could say. He is a cross between pure Wheaten Ameraucana and pure White Ameraucana. I guess you could call him a Red Pyle version of Ameraucana. [​IMG]
    But, not really. As it stands, any crossing of different ameraucana color varieties that does not yield a color that is recognized or accepted by APA, ABA, and the Ameraucana Breeders Club, the cross is considered to be an "Easter Egger". [​IMG]
    He is a very gentle bird and a one of a kind. Too bad, I don't have a hen like him, nor do I have the original birds he was bred from in order to make the same cross again.

Try this link to see the recognized color varities in the Ameraucana breed.

http://www.ameraucana.org/scrapbook.html

http://www.ameraucana.org/DnLd/BreedersDirectory.pdf

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    peachick I PM'ed you about your chicks

Thanks
    Henry

10. countyroad1330

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    Thank you for all of the helpful information everyone! After looking at pictures I realized that the color I am interested in is Blue Wheaten. I had no idea what a rare chicken I was looking for!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by