Anyone have experience with Privett?

EmmaRainboe

🙄🤚💙Duckie💜😩🤚
Jul 30, 2020
Washington
My local feed store is getting dominiques and I was debating getting a few. They get their chicks from Privett Hatchery so was wondering if anyone had any experience.

So far I am not having much hope for them as on there website I found this:

1612308085212.png

Reading that had me FUMING, there is so much wrong in that single paragraph, and I feel like anyone who had any knowledge of EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas, would not have typed that.

But it has been a few days and I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt that they just hired someone with no knowledge to write it.

So, Privett experiences....?

Every hatchery is ignorant if you look for it. It takes a lot of people and different departments to keep a hatchery in operation.
It all depends on your priorities. Marketing has nothing to do with their birds or breeding.
If your bottom line is are the bird decent them make a thread asking if anyone has that breed from them. If what you read really bothers you and you want to deal with a hatchery that at least looks like they know what they're talking about then pass.
For what its worth I have dealt with them. First time I ordered from Welp. They drop ship Privett birds from Privett's. Average hatchery quality birds.
The second time I ordered from them. Great to deal with. Average hatchery quality birds.
A year or two ago I didn't order but contacted them twice to question a breed/variety. They were never available but they were very helpful and put up with me.
That says a lot.

I have no experience with them. But the spelling, & misinformation that hatcheries use, such as Hoover's are a common marketing scheme.
I get that, but I didn't know they went to the point of saying: "Americanas are not to be confused with Americanas, which have ear tufts and are rumpless."

Wow that’s the worst description I’ve ever seen. “Americanas are not to be confused with Americanas”

That’s gonna trip up some people. Egg color is also listed as simply ‘green’ which is very incorrect, and will confuse even more. They couldn’t even bother to put a real picture on it?

I know you’re looking to buy colored egg layers and really want blue eggs. I feel like this isn’t a good hatchery to buy from. First of all that page is very misleading and I don’t think I would want to spend money on them. There are plenty of hatcheries that have great reviews. I would stay on the safe side and order from somewhere that is trusted.

My local feed store is getting dominiques and I was debating getting a few. They get their chicks from Privett Hatchery so was wondering if anyone had any experience.

No experience with Privett, but a general tip when buying from a feed store: make sure YOU know what that breed of chick is supposed to look like.

For Dominiques, that includes a particular pattern of black and yellow down, with a flat little comb (baby rose comb), and no feathers on the feet.

Even if a hatchery sends good chicks, some employee at the feed store can easily mix them up, and you might find that you've got Barred Rocks or Silver Laced Wyandottes or Black Australorps or something else that was not what you wanted. You will not be able to check the sex on the chicks at the feed store, but at least you can check some traits of the breed.

So far I am not having much hope for them as on there website I found this:

View attachment 2513486

Reading that had me FUMING, there is so much wrong in that single paragraph, and I feel like anyone who had any knowledge of EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas, would not have typed that.

But it has been a few days and I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt that they just hired someone with no knowledge to write it.

So, Privett experiences....?
Hi Emma,

Americana? green eggs? :gig

My experience: two local independent feed stores sold GLBW and Cuckoo Marans from Privett. I think those were in 2017. One of the Marans turned out to be a SLBW. They all seemed healthy. Losses were from predators. (We had problems with raccoons and dogs in the past). However the Wyandottes had thin shelled porous eggs. Don’t know if that’s heritable so did not breed the Wyandottes. Still have two Marans. They have terracotta red eggs and hatched 2 clutches of EE eggs for me. Curious if ordering from Privett is ok, would like a cuckoo Maran rooster.

I get that, but I didn't know they went to the point of saying: "Americanas are not to be confused with Americanas, which have ear tufts and are rumpless."
Yeah, that's pretty dead giveaway to how knowledgeable some of the hatchery people are 🤣 .

Wow that’s the worst description I’ve ever seen. “Americanas are not to be confused with Americanas”

That’s gonna trip up some people. Egg color is also listed as simply ‘green’ which is very incorrect, and will confuse even more. They couldn’t even bother to put a real picture on it?

I know you’re looking to buy colored egg layers and really want blue eggs. I feel like this isn’t a good hatchery to buy from. First of all that page is very misleading and I don’t think I would want to spend money on them. There are plenty of hatcheries that have great reviews. I would stay on the safe side and order from somewhere that is trusted.
Yep, I was thinking of possibly getting EEs from them but I was mainly thinking about possibly getting some Dominiques and a Speckled Sussex. They are two breeds I want but wouldn't go out of my way to get. My local feed store is going to have them so I was thinking about possibly picking up a few if Privett isn't absolute garbage. I don't plan to show or breed them so quality isn't the most important thing, but I don't want them to be complete trash.

Back
Top Bottom