Anyone have experience with Privett?

Hi Emma,

Americana? green eggs? :gig

My experience: two local independent feed stores sold GLBW and Cuckoo Marans from Privett. I think those were in 2017. One of the Marans turned out to be a SLBW. They all seemed healthy. Losses were from predators. (We had problems with raccoons and dogs in the past). However the Wyandottes had thin shelled porous eggs. Don’t know if that’s heritable so did not breed the Wyandottes. Still have two Marans. They have terracotta red eggs and hatched 2 clutches of EE eggs for me. Curious if ordering from Privett is ok, would like a cuckoo Maran rooster.
Here are my Privett SLBW and my Dominique (all deceased) but the Dominique had a wonderful disposition and passed it on to her son.
1EAC858D-737E-4462-B0DC-16D6E74EA58B.jpeg
1D4DA4FB-C764-4980-8C3E-C2085671043A.jpeg

I've heard Cackle sells AMs do they have any colors besides Blue and Black? (like wheaten?)
From Cackle’s website:

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/blue-egger-female-surplus/

“Blue Egger Female Surplus – Includes at least 2 of the following breeds: Cream Legbar, Black Ameraucana, Blue Ameraucana, Lavender Ameraucana, White Ameraucana or Splash Ameraucana.

We will try to give as much as a variety as we can but no guarantee of an assortment.”

So Emma, I got my blue wheaten rooster purely by chance from a probable cross of black-breasted red Polish to a white/brown EE. It’s a guess because I remember what breeds/colors were there to be the parents of the green eggs I was given.

Now If I was forced to replace my flock with new birds, I’d order Cackle’s straight run Black Ameracauna and also their Blue Egg Layer Assortment, since that’s mostly Ameracaunas. And because I could plan to set aside a breeding pen of blue egg layers with no brown egg genes. Then start crossing the black and blue Ameracauna with the white/brown hoping for blue wheaten to come out. Any thoughts?

Yep, I was thinking of possibly getting EEs from them but I was mainly thinking about possibly getting some Dominiques and a Speckled Sussex. They are two breeds I want but wouldn't go out of my way to get. My local feed store is going to have them so I was thinking about possibly picking up a few if Privett isn't absolute garbage. I don't plan to show or breed them so quality isn't the most important thing, but I don't want them to be complete trash.
Again I confirm that my Wyandottes from Privett had undesirably thin shells that good upbringing and nutrtition did not fix.

From Cackle’s website:

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/blue-egger-female-surplus/

“Blue Egger Female Surplus – Includes at least 2 of the following breeds: Cream Legbar, Black Ameraucana, Blue Ameraucana, Lavender Ameraucana, White Ameraucana or Splash Ameraucana.

We will try to give as much as a variety as we can but no guarantee of an assortment.”

So Emma, I got my blue wheaten rooster purely by chance from a probable cross of black-breasted red Polish to a white/brown EE. It’s a guess because I remember what breeds/colors were there to be the parents of the green eggs I was given.

Now If I was forced to replace my flock with new birds, I’d order Cackle’s straight run Black Ameracauna and also their Blue Egg Layer Assortment, since that’s mostly Ameracaunas. And because I could plan to set aside a breeding pen of blue egg layers with no brown egg genes. Then start crossing the black and blue Ameracauna with the white/brown hoping for blue wheaten to come out. Any thoughts?
Thanks for that link! That was very helpful and while this was me trying to figure out Dominiques and SS you just figured out my longing for more Ameraucanas AND ongoing quest for blue eggs! I can't thank you enough. :bow

And while they can't guarantee variety that might make it even more fun! Like a mystery box of what I'm gonna get! :wee

Thanks for that link! That was very helpful and while this was me trying to figure out Dominiques and SS you just figured out my longing for more Ameraucanas AND ongoing quest for blue eggs! I can't thank you enough. :bow

And while they can't guarantee variety that might make it even more fun! Like a mystery box of what I'm gonna get! :wee
Excellent! And I will continue teaching my spell checker how to spell Amera Cajuns 😄 Ameracauna 😂 Ameraucana !

Hey Emma?

Have you considered Cackle Hatchery’s straight run black Ameraucanas and Blue Egg Layer assortment?

The person I got my green fertile eggs from to start my flock of EEs, she had mostly birds from Cackle. So I’m pretty happy with the vigor of birds descended from Cackle stock.
View attachment 2513641View attachment 2513607View attachment 2513622View attachment 2513640View attachment 2513615View attachment 2513616
I've heard Cackle sells AMs do they have any colors besides Blue and Black? (like wheaten?)

So far I am not having much hope for them as on there website I found this:

1612308085212.png

Reading that had me FUMING, there is so much wrong in that single paragraph, and I feel like anyone who had any knowledge of EEs, Ameraucanas, and Araucanas, would not have typed that.
huh-MG.gif

Wow that’s the worst description I’ve ever seen. “Americanas are not to be confused with Americanas”

That’s gonna trip up some people.
definitely
Egg color is also listed as simply ‘green’ which is very incorrect, and will confuse even more.
true, although maybe most birds from them lay green? but still, they wont all lay green, so it's definitely confusing
Oh I think it was "Sandhill Hatchery'?
yeah, it was Sandhill
Either way, with those 'americanas that aren't americanas' I wouldn't trust them.
yes :gig

Back
Top Bottom