Anyone have fish?

Pics
Goldfish can get very large very fast* but the real issue is how quickly they reproduce. Koi have to be much larger/older to be reproductive, plus there are more sellers that know the sex of their koi. Goldfish start reproducing so early that you can have a completely overrun/overstocked pond within a couple of years. You can find sexed goldfish, but there are fewer vendors**.

There are some very large stock tanks (1000+ gallons are easily found) out there if you want to go that route. The big ones are quite expensive, but they are very sturdy, have long life spans, are reasonably easy to plumb and are flexible in how they can be used (above/below ground, partially buried, etc.). Sometimes large stock tanks can be found used at reasonable prices.

As for filtration, you can go two routes - low stocking levels with cheaper filtering or high stocking with more expensive filtering. Filter costs include pump, energy, filter media/housing, filter maintenance, etc. Most koi ponds have high stocking levels and expensive filtration, but that is not your only option.

Waterfalls also tend to be expensive - both maintenance wise and due to pump/energy costs.

All that being said, I love having a pond. I went with low stocking levels and less expensive filtration (not that it is cheap, but it is a joke in comparison to most quality koi ponds) and have a waterfall :D My pond is very relaxing and it is the first thing that people comment upon in my yard. Granted, the chickens aren't as obvious unless I let them out on the lawn.

*https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2013/03/7/super-sized-goldfish-pose-giant-problem-lake-tahoe

**Here are a couple of vendors that sell sexed goldfish. I am sure there are others, but you will have to track them down
http://raingarden.us/goldfish.htm
http://www.zhaosfancies.com/online-goldfish-shop

I was just wondering, I was planning on getting 3 dwarf puffers to put in the 10 gallon once I can move the guppies into the 50. I was planning on feeding the puffers a live diet of smaller ramshorn snails, smaller red cherry shrimp, and blackworms. Does that sound like a pretty balanced diet? I know they love frozen bloodworms, I just don't like the idea of messing with them. I know I'm weird haha, I'll mess with live black worms, but not frozen bloodworms. If it is necessary, then I will feed them the frozen worms too.

Goldfish can get very large very fast* but the real issue is how quickly they reproduce. Koi have to be much larger/older to be reproductive, plus there are more sellers that know the sex of their koi. Goldfish start reproducing so early that you can have a completely overrun/overstocked pond within a couple of years. You can find sexed goldfish, but there are fewer vendors**.

There are some very large stock tanks (1000+ gallons are easily found) out there if you want to go that route. The big ones are quite expensive, but they are very sturdy, have long life spans, are reasonably easy to plumb and are flexible in how they can be used (above/below ground, partially buried, etc.). Sometimes large stock tanks can be found used at reasonable prices.

As for filtration, you can go two routes - low stocking levels with cheaper filtering or high stocking with more expensive filtering. Filter costs include pump, energy, filter media/housing, filter maintenance, etc. Most koi ponds have high stocking levels and expensive filtration, but that is not your only option.

Waterfalls also tend to be expensive - both maintenance wise and due to pump/energy costs.

All that being said, I love having a pond. I went with low stocking levels and less expensive filtration (not that it is cheap, but it is a joke in comparison to most quality koi ponds) and have a waterfall :D My pond is very relaxing and it is the first thing that people comment upon in my yard. Granted, the chickens aren't as obvious unless I let them out on the lawn.

*https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2013/03/7/super-sized-goldfish-pose-giant-problem-lake-tahoe

**Here are a couple of vendors that sell sexed goldfish. I am sure there are others, but you will have to track them down
http://raingarden.us/goldfish.htm
http://www.zhaosfancies.com/online-goldfish-shop

Thanks for all the info! That's very helpful. I hadn't considered the energy costs of the running the waterfall. Maybe we will go with a smaller one then lol

How expensive is expensive filtration? More than the one I was considering?

Thanks for all the info! That's very helpful. I hadn't considered the energy costs of the running the waterfall. Maybe we will go with a smaller one then lol

How expensive is expensive filtration? More than the one I was considering?

What you are looking at is VERY inexpensive filtration that will only work on tiny ponds with light stocking levels. Most koi ponds will have filtration that runs in the thousands (even DYI will cost several hundred after plumbing fittings, pump, etc) - settling tanks, leaf traps, mechanical and biological filters, back flushing systems, UV, etc. This is a nice site to review - good articles and lots of quality equipment:
http://www.aquaart.com

One other thing to think about as far as stocking levels - think more in terms of pounds of fish rather than inches. A 20" koi needs a lot more space/filtration than 20 1" goldfish.

Blood parrot, not a parrot fish at all rather a hybrid cichlid. I had some as a kid but they kept eating rocks or trying to eat rocks. I finally had my fill of popping rocks out of fish mouths and traded them for a red devil which is a funky name given that they're sunshine yellow.:)
The orange fish are parrot fish.

Blood parrot, not a parrot fish at all rather a hybrid cichlid. I had some as a kid but they kept eating rocks or trying to eat rocks. I finally had my fill of popping rocks out of fish mouths and traded them for a red devil which is a funky name given that they're sunshine yellow.:)
They’re also marketed as parrot fish. There are some on the market now with more of a red devil mouth. I had a red devil too. Great fish.

Oh I know, lol. Poor blood parrots they really are kind of fishy Frankensteins not even getting started on how they dye the guys to make them more attractive.:rantI really liked my red devil too, he got super agressive though.
They’re also marketed as parrot fish. There are some on the market now with more of a red devil mouth. I had a red devil too. Great fish.

Oh I know, lol. Poor blood parrots they really are kind of fishy Frankensteins not even getting started on how they dye the guys to make them more attractive.:rantI really liked my red devil too, he got super agressive though.
I think parrot fish are beautiful but I despise how they dye fish in other countries. I’m not fond of the glo fish. Did you know that the fish are patented? :eek:

I think parrot fish are beautiful but I despise how they dye fish in other countries. I’m not fond of the glo fish. Did you know that the fish are patented? :eek:
They are genetically modified. They contain jelly fish DNA I believe. It's the start of Jurassic park.

Back
Top Bottom