Anyone heard of Lazy Hen/Hens Farm in Pyote Tx?

Coopmom56

Songster
6 Years
Jun 13, 2015
Texas Panhandle
My Coop
My Coop
Responded to a Craigslist ad entitled " Taking orders for Chicks this spring" and corresponded with the person who placed the ad. Anyone have any experience with this breeder? Pyote is in West Texas, southwest of Midland/Odessa.

I would like to add some new breeds to my flock and this breeder is convenient to me to pickup some pullets in a few months. I am, however, wary of adding chickens from someone I know nothing about.

Anyone?

--Coopmom56

I have not heard of this breeder, and could not get any results online when I googled their name. You may want to go out and see what the farm and the birds look like before purchasing any stock. Ask to see flock records--where their birds were purchased, what kinds of diseases they've had, how many they've sold, etc. If you don't feel 100% safe buying their birds, don't. Follow your gut feeling in this instance. You can always order started pullets from a reputable hatchery, day old chicks, or try hatching your own (it's challenging but fun!). Better to do that than to buy sick birds from a "quack" that could infect your whole flock. I'm not necessarily saying this breeder is a quack, but better to be safe than sorry. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
I have not heard of this breeder, and could not get any results online when I googled their name. You may want to go out and see what the farm and the birds look like before purchasing any stock. Ask to see flock records--where their birds were purchased, what kinds of diseases they've had, how many they've sold, etc. If you don't feel 100% safe buying their birds, don't. Follow your gut feeling in this instance. You can always order started pullets from a reputable hatchery, day old chicks, or try hatching your own (it's challenging but fun!). Better to do that than to buy sick birds from a "quack" that could infect your whole flock. I'm not necessarily saying this breeder is a quack, but better to be safe than sorry. Good luck! :) 

I couldn't find anything either. I have his contact info. He says he's got a degree from A&M and plans to be a large hatchery in the near future. Good advice to go see for myself. I should be down that way late January, so may take a field trip one day to check him out.

I couldn't find anything either. I have his contact info. He says he's got a degree from A&M and plans to be a large hatchery in the near future. Good advice to go see for myself. I should be down that way late January, so may take a field trip one day to check him out.
Good! Hey, if he's on the up-and-up, it'd be great for you to help him out! If you do end up ordering from a hatchery, go with Ideal Poultry in Cameron Tx. Good, healthy chicks with great livability. Hope it all works out for you :)

I was kinda wondering the same thing. I responded to him on CL and he told me that he was just starting his hatchery in Pyote. I'm a little interested to see exactly where he's located at because I've been to Pyote before and there is not much there! Lol. Just wondering if you had a chance to go check out his chickens yet? I live about an hour south of Midland and to have a large hatchery that close to me would be extremely convenient but I also don't want to risk my entire flock for it.

I was kinda wondering the same thing. I responded to him on CL and he told me that he was just starting his hatchery in Pyote. I'm a little interested to see exactly where he's located at because I've been to Pyote before and there is not much there! Lol. Just wondering if you had a chance to go check out his chickens yet? I live about an hour south of Midland and to have a large hatchery that close to me would be extremely convenient but I also don't want to risk my entire flock for it.

No, I haven't been able to check it out yet, but we're going to Odessa tomorrow for a couple of days so I thought I might go see if I could find it. I'll let you know if I do.

Last edited:
No, I haven't been able to check it out yet, but we're going to Odessa tomorrow for a couple of days so I thought I might go see if I could find it. I'll let you know if I do.

Did you find it yet? Just saw the CL ad, and am really interested.

Did you find it yet? Just saw the CL ad, and am really interested.

Nope, sorry to say I didn't have the chance this week. We had to cut our trip short and I didn't have the time to go see for myself about this guy. Let's keep this thread going, though - if any of us talk to or visit him, please let the others know. I did ask him about pullets (don't feel experienced enough to have chicks yet!) and he said he would have some by late March - he probably has some now, but I want it to be warmer up here before I get new birds. So I may see about it then. Keep us all posted!

I saw the ad list in CL in Albuquerque last week, too and was interested because of the less common breeds he carries. So definitely following the thread to see what you Sherlocks discover. :)

This is Lazy Hen. I am happy to see all the interest. I have been preparing hard for the upcoming year. All of my flocks were purchased from the best of the best bloodlines and will include many rare and diverse breeds producing eggshell colors of gourmet quality. I slowed my roll this season. I need better prepared and organized for the scale I am going. Small just isn't big enough. I want to have everything in order for potential customers..you make one bad customer..you are at risk in this sector of hobby/ farming. Keep me in mind for this coming spring and year..2017. You will be glad you did. Happy chickening guys..my feed bill is 1600 a month now..lol All birds are NPIP clean and culled from numerous birds. This fall I will have second quality pullets and hens, but I need to make it clear..they are for laying purpose..not breeder quality. Keep me in mind..I look forward to developing many new friends and customers..and as business goes..customer comes first. Thanks again for the initial conversation on what's to come. I can be contacted at 4325575690.. Please limit calls. Thanks again. Back to work..Rome wasn't built overnight! :))

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom