Anyone keep Giant Schnauzers?

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
My DBF and I are moving to a lovely house where we can get another dog. I've applied to volunteer at the local animal sanctuary and will likely fall in love with an adoptable dog there, but I was also looking into the possibility of another schnauzer. We currently have a miniature schnauzer who is the most amazing dog in the country. I know, I know - you're thinking that YOUR dog is the most amazing dog in the country, but I must be your bearer of bad news.
wink.png
We have considered adopting another mini, but are talking about giants because it would be nice to have a big dog again.

I would love to know if any of you folks keep giant schnauzers. I'll read about them online more, but it would be helpful to hear your "real life" stories about your dogs. I'm sure it varies from dog to dog, but how are your schnauzers with chickens? What are their common ailments? Life expectancy? Temperament?

We were quite fortunate with our little guy to potty train almost instantly. He's incredibly intelligent and will learn a command the same day. He doesn't bother the chickens by his own personal nature (we didn't teach him that) and he's great in the car. His only downside is that if we're off leash or if he gets out the front door - he takes off! He's 3 years old and great with other dogs.

If you have photos of your giants, even better!

Thanks!

HI,

I have a mini Schnauzer boy. We got him shortly after we lost our 11 yo female in May to cancer. It broke my heart as I am sure you can imagine to lose Rosie, but Lacey is a funny imp.

I thought about a Giant. We have a standard Poodle and I decided one big dog was enough.

I think you will be happy with either.

Dawn

Don't give up the idea of adopting just because you want a certain breed. You can find any and every breed in rescues. Even if you find one across the country they will work with you to get it to you. Rescue people really collaberate now, thanks to the internet and Facebook. Alot of dogs move from here to up north. One person will drive two hours on the interstate and then hand off to another person and it goes on and on until the dog is with his new family. So, if you want to rescue, but you want a Giant Schnauzer, start looking now, so you have plenty of time to find the one you want. I just looked on petfinders and there are tons of them in rescue. This rescue isn't too far from me, Schnauzer Rescue of the Carolinas Inc. Have a look:

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search...=Giant+Schnauzer&location=&startsearch=Search

Last edited:
Giants are not like the Miniatures. They are a different breed in origin and purpose. The Giants I have been around, which is..Oh maybe 10 of them in the years I have been "in" dogs, have always been really nice dogs, good, quiet, easy to train. The one I knew best was a dog owned by the Behaviorist I used to work for. She was a fabulous dog, driven, quiet, exceptionally intelligent. She had high drive but would respect their Invisable Fence.

I have been around a few GS mixes and all three of them were NOT dogs I would have considered owning. For one reason or another they've all been riddled with health or behavior issues.

yep....what Jamie said. Giants might share the name "schnauzer" with the miniatures, but that's about the only thing they have in common. They are good dogs, but way different from the miniatures.

We have one, he adopted us two years ago, he is about 4 now. Apparently someone decided they did not want to feed him and tossed him out. We had no luck with ads, he is not chipped so he is ours.
He has had to learn the proper way to act around the horses, but he is the best dog. I take him if I travel anywhere by myself , he will protect me with his life. He also protects our Jack Russells as well. He is pretty laid back most of the times.

We picked Gordy up the sameday our Cocker Spaniel of 15 passed away, I still believe it was not a coincidence.

I have a 7 yr old giant. I will have to echo what others have said...giants are totally different than mini. They are large powerful and intelligent dogs...and stubborn....did I mention stubborn? They are a lot of work, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

The only way you can somewhat control temperament, health etc is to find a good breeder. In general, more common ailments in gs are thyroid issues and toe cancer, along with some of the same problems that effect all big dogs like joint problems, etc. You also have to remember that vet bills rise in direct relation to a dogs weight. My personal experience: My first giant died of leukemia at 4yrs old. My current giant is 7 and has had no major problems except for low thyroid, which is controlled by $5 of medicine each month.

My dog is fine with my chickens. That being said, I have put a great deal of time into his training. He will leave them along because I am the boss and they are mine. Although, all bets are off if I am not around and he happens to be loose with the chickens. The chickens have their own fenced in yard. Although this weekend, they must have been suicidal because I had not one, but two incidents of them getting out of their enclosure while the dog was loose. Both times, I was there and gave him the 'down' command and he complied.

Last edited:
Dito on the Stubbornness!

Make sure you have lots of time for training. They are incredibly smart but require a lot of time to get them trained. Once that is accomplished you will have a great family dog.

Whomever had Gordy before us spent some time with him,he is very well behaved. I did have to make him understand I was the Pack Leader, but once that was established, all was well.

Here are a couple pics of Gordy. He is usually clipped in a "Schnauzer" cut

1845_gordysept11a.jpg

1845_gordysept11.jpg

Here he is with his "siblings" He usually does not try to get in the bed, but he was being bad.....

1845_dogbed3.jpg

Thank you for all of the replies and the photos!

I appreciate everyone's help with links and personal experiences. We are going to continue our search for a second dog and take all the necessary time to make sure we find the right family member for us! That being said, there are a couple GS's for adoption in the "area" so perhaps we can spend some time meeting them and learning more.

Back
Top Bottom