Anyone want to hatch with me? - Went in 01/16/14.

well, I weighed, candled and pencil marked the air sac this morning from the set I put in the 12th. Eight of nine shrank 5.5% by weight. I think that is on target. the ninth hadn't shrank any? could be a recording error. With these being the first ever, and comparing other candle pics, I think they look ok.

Quote: I've had a hard time controling the humidty in my hovabator 1588. I have a hygrometer sitting on the egg rack plus the one in the controler on the lid. they are usualy 9-10% apart with the sensor on the rack being higher. (next time when I have it out of use, I will put the tow sensors next to each other to check/calibrate) If I put water in they jump to 45%and 55% Which according to the directions is on target. I've aimed to keep it on the low side. When water is gone then they both read about 10% That is where our house is (bator's in the basement) I have learned to put a smaller amount of water in at a time. right now the read 30 and 40%. It looks like egg shrink is about right, and it will most likely be more stable with more eggs in it.

I am on the right track here?

Are you running your incubator dry? If so and your humidity is that high, put a few paper towels in there. They absorb some of the extra humidity. I have to do that sometimes. I add a sheet, wait a bit, then check it. If it still isn't low enough, add another sheet.
I try to keep mine at about 25-30%

Well, I am not really sure.lol.
My bator is full auto with an auto pump system. My pump hasn't gone off at all and yet it's just so humid out side that it raise the humidty in my bator. I do have my vents open. At the moment I an on 55% which is relatively Ok.

Do you all calibrate your instruments before every hatch? It really does make a difference to spot on and you'd be surprised how off they can get from one hatch to the next. AND its super easy.
To calibrate your hygrometer:
-place hygro in an appropriate sized container or zip lock bag.
-place a spoonful or capful of moisten salt in said container.
-seal it all up and check back in 6 hours. The gauge should read 75% if its accurate. If it doesn't, quickly remove it from the container and adjust it to 75.

To calibrate your thermometer:
-again, find and appropriate sized container and put the thermometer inside.
-add crushed ice and enough water to make slush in the bag.

It should go down to freezing, if it doesn't, its off. If you can adjust it, do. If you can't, remember to compensate for however much its off.

With my humidity, I add a very small amount every few days. Sometimes I add too much, so I just sop it out with a towel. For high humidity, add something to the bator that will soak up the excess moisture, like the paper towels I suggested earlier or a wash clothe. If its too low, increase the amount of water surface
1f60a.png

HI, May I join? I have 14 mixed breed eggs that I just put in my ReptiPro incubator with auto turner. I should have 7 ducks hatch in a few days.

When do you guys usually do your first candling?
You can candle every single day if you want. But usually day 7, then day 10, then 15, then 18 then in to shut down and wait.
I have detached air sacks on mine so I wont be candling till day 15 or 16.

HI, May I join? I have 14 mixed breed eggs that I just put in my ReptiPro incubator with auto turner. I should have 7 ducks hatch in a few days.

WELCOME!
big_smile.png
Ducks, cool!
Isn't the Repti for exotic birds and reptiles?
Are they your own flocks eggs?

Thanks Funky for the info. It's a bit late now to recal as I have them in.
Also all my temp and humid reader in in built so I am unable to get them out.
I will look in the manual and see if I can recal some way.

Quote I have several ducks and chicks that I have hatched using the Repti, The duck eggs are from my mix of breeds that run around and the chicken eggs I got from a friend to add some new genetics into my existing mix bag of a flock. I also get some hatching eggs from my neighbor and then I give him some of the chicks in return. A trick I learned with the Repti is to use a fish tank air pump to get fresh air into it because my first set I lost because they did not have enough air, because there are no vent holes. But after figuring out that little trick, I have not had any problems with the duck or chicken eggs hatching. With the auto turners, air pump and wet sponge, it works great.

Back
Top Bottom