April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Early Day 22. Still waiting for the rest of these Marans to hatch. It hasn't been the stress free hatch I was hoping for. 6 out of 10 perfect little peeps have hatched so far and 1 more I feel really comfortable with since it's pipped and just taking it's time. The other remaining 3 are all malpositions, I've only had one other malposition in all of my hatches this year so 3 at once for locally sourced eggs I'm really not happy about and I'm trying to figure out what could have possibly caused it. The biggest thing I did differently was I moved them to the IncuView for lockdown but I really don't think that's it.
I also did not candle these eggs very much because life got pretty hectic here recently. I think I may have allowed them to lose too much weight and they didn't have enough room to turn properly and get into position even though they're blatantly not strink wrapped. I may never know on this one since like I already admitted, I wasn't watching closely...and here I thought they would do great if I didn't fiddle with them so often and it turned out the exact opposite!

Moral of this story, I support "candling too often" lol. Just do like the CDC says and wash your hands before candling and they'll be just fine. :lol:

Early Day 22. Still waiting for the rest of these Marans to hatch. It hasn't been the stress free hatch I was hoping for. 6 out of 10 perfect little peeps have hatched so far and 1 more I feel really comfortable with since it's pipped and just taking it's time. The other remaining 3 are all malpositions, I've only had one other malposition in all of my hatches this year so 3 at once for locally sourced eggs I'm really not happy about and I'm trying to figure out what could have possibly caused it. The biggest thing I did differently was I moved them to the IncuView for lockdown but I really don't think that's it.
I also did not candle these eggs very much because life got pretty hectic here recently. I think I may have allowed them to lose too much weight and they didn't have enough room to turn properly and get into position even though they're blatantly not strink wrapped. I may never know on this one since like I already admitted, I wasn't watching closely...and here I thought they would do great if I didn't fiddle with them so often and it turned out the exact opposite!

Moral of this story, I support "candling too often" lol. Just do like the CDC says and wash your hands before candling and they'll be just fine. :lol:

What is it with these Marans?!?! They seem to have a harder time making it out. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I barely candled mine too since I can hardly see in anyways lol.

I don't know, I swear Marans have always been slow but it was not this hard to hatch Marans last year!

Yeah who knows. How do you know yours are malpos? Did you open the tops? 3 of mine are still alive but not ready to come out and the 4th one passed overnight (the one that I had to peel a ton of shell off to find the beak).

I candled 24 in the FI4250 and 21 look good for D7, 2 look like they have blood rings and 1 has a slushy air cell.
Saturday 4/4 at 5pm I set another 17 to hatch 4/26, which includes 5 EEs and hopefully they will make it this time(EEs) all 17 are shipped eggs
Did you pull the quitters and sloshy one? If not watch that sloshy one like a hawk. I'm not sure if you're describing a detached aircell or bad egg. Anything loose or liquidy in an incubated egg is bad news.

Maybe they just need some cuddling in that long dull time in the plastic/foam buzzy chamber.

I agree with your assessment. I don't think changing incubators would have caused malpositions as long as they were incubating on their side in both. If they went from upright incubating to sideways hatching then I'd say maybe.

As for Marans eggs...I hate to say this...but they do seem to be more difficult to hatch. My best hatch ever was 17/21. My Marans consistently had hatch rates 10-15% lower than my other chickens. This could be inbreeding or ??? I never had a chance to figure it out.

After 7 years keeping, 3 years breeding, BBS and Black Copper Marans a predator got my breeding stock last year. They seem to be a significant degree of difficulty above other breeds. Constant uphill battle. I'm taking a break.

Of course I say that. Then see everyone's beautiful dark eggs and immediately get the itch for more.

Back
Top Bottom