Ok let me reword this. Are there any non-nutritional additives that are used to prevent some sort of disease from happening in feed? I was reading this,

http://articles.extension.org/pages/69030/additives-in-poultry-feed

and it mentions coccidostats and mycotoxin binder, both which my dad would consider medication.

I shot off emails both to our coop and to orschlens and TSC so hopefully someone emails me back!

@rjohns39 @chickens really @twisted-acres-farm
Reading through that really makes me think its "Fake sensational news" the only thing that looked remotely factual was that if fats are in feed they can go bad....but that is kinda a no brainer O2 will oxidize fats. If this Dr were reputable he would have some peer reviewed research to quote with references. like [1] [2] [3] There was not a single referenced supporting study or paper cited.

Here's what goes into my preferred layer
Ingredient Pounds
non-gmo Alfalfa Meal 100
non-gmo Corn Grain, Cracked 965
non-gmo Oats 100
Calcium 100
non-gmo Soybeans, Roasted 675
Fertrell Nutri-Balancer 60

Reading through that really makes me think its "Fake sensational news" the only thing that looked remotely factual was that if fats are in feed they can go bad....but that is kinda a no brainer O2 will oxidize fats. If this Dr were reputable he would have some peer reviewed research to quote with references. like [1] [2] [3] There was not a single referenced supporting study or paper cited.
A real Dr. who earned a degree would understand the purpose of using and citing references. Guy is probably a Dr of science and Jenga!

Each ingredient, as well as the final feed has shelf life considerations governed by storage conditions. Spring is great as its cool.

I have different rations for different stages of life, that can't justify a ton, so I work from a base mix that I can use for the period while hens are laying for hatch, then can be converted to a starter, and then a grower. To that end, I will store Alfalfa pellets, fish meal, Nutri-balancer, shelled corn, wheat, and whole roasted soy in air tight drums with oxygen absorbers. I'll crack the grains and mix up 50-100 pound batches.

Back
Top Bottom