Are egg gathering exterior door/hatches worth doing?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kiwiegg, Oct 21, 2010.

1. kiwiegg

kiwiegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Minnesota
    I'm wondering as I modify the 8x8 walk in coop from "...for Dummies" if I should leave the egg door out of my design. I realize it's a convenience thing but in a very cold winter climate (like mine) and a potentially windy location (like mine is) could I run into draft issues for my girls? Is it really a lot more work walking through the door? I feel very fortunate to ask these things before I build! Thanks.
    SORRY I CLICKED TWICE >>>HOW DO I DELETE A DOUBLE POST?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I think an egg door is a good thing. I live in a cold winter climate and don't like to open the people door in the winter time and let all the good warmth out of the coop whenever I can avoid it.

To have a thread deleted, just contact a moderator or administrator with the link and ask them to delete the duplicate post for you.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    All of my layer tractors have exterior nest doors. I think they are a great boon. Much easier to collect the eggs that way.

4. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Egg doors are great.

5. Cluckn Crazy

Cluckn Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Peterborough, Ontario
    I didn't put one in, and am starting to regret it. They swarm the door everytime I go in, and its a sure thing I'll end up with "poopy coop shoes" and feather dust in my hair. Perhaps a remodel is in order next spring....

6. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    This is a great question. I am glad you decided to ask it. I was wondering the same thing. My coop is actually a 6x10 coop room in my barn, but I do have a wall that I could build access to nest boxes (I meaning DH [​IMG] ).

7. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    it would be nice to have but you would need to in a check the food and water and maybe open n closed the coop door any ways for me

8. SandyK

SandyK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    I had the outside egg door on my little coop and now I have the nests inside. To tell you the truth, I love the inside much better. The door on the outside was heavy and hard to hold up and then gather the eggs with the one hand. Maybe it was just me. But I always like going down and talking with the girls, tidying up the coop and the eggs are right there easy to get from the nests mounted on the wall.

9. Luckytaz

Luckytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Rogers, Mn.
    In our area, I think it causes more froozen eggs.

10. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    It will be hard to insulate and will assuredly be drafty. Like Luckytaz said, sounds like frozen eggs to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by