Are the judges going to laugh at me? Australorp PICS

here's the link to the Australorp Club of Australia and the breed standard as they have it. I couldn't find a US one, though I didn't look Super Duper hard... still this should be fairly helpful.

http://www.australorps.com/4.html

I'll probably poke around a little more because that's what I do... once a researcher, always a researcher **sigh**.

It is a great way to learn about your birds whether or not you have a good stock. Take their comments seriously and learn, talk to all the breeders at a show. Yes some of them will bend over backwards in helping you out.

Just so you know, everyone I believe goes through the jitters their first time out, even the first few times. Or if you're starting with a new breed, the aniticipation is immense as you await the judge's decision to see how your judgement outside the show hall stacks up to how your bird(s) are being judged.

But be warned, showing is addicting. If I were you, I'd go, take your boy, and spend your time in the Australorp aisle and learn everything you can about them. Stand nearby but not in the way of the judging and observe, see and notice what the judge is looking at. A lot can be learned by observing. No one is going to laugh at you, and if they do then they're a jack@ss for it and not a good person so they are inconsequential to your wellbeing.

Some judges will make a comment on your score card about what's lacking, or about what they like. Don't take a critique personally, remember, they're judging the bird based against a standard and what's at the show that day, not you personally. Take it all in as a learning experience. And trust me when I say that nearly everyone likes to talk about their poultry and will probably as was already said be more than willing to give you guidance if you ask. Bring along a notepad to collect information and contacts.

And most of all, have fun!

Quote:
WOW....thats a lot of birds to show!! How the heck do you guys have time to get them all ready??

All we do here is take care of birds and kids.....not much time for other "fun" stuff. Good thing we all love animals.

We try to keep the birds in show condition during show season so not much to do on show day but touch-ups

Quote:
I think I'm going to have SO MUCH FUN! I think cause its my first time participating is why I'm nervous. I've been to other shows and I LOVE to listen to people talk about their birds and see all the different breeds. I went to the state fair with my BFF about a month ago, and we chatted up the judge...who was really cute....and asked him all about the breeds he was judging. It was very interesting and we had a great time.

You should show for sure! Its the only way you will learn and the experience will be great for you....

You must not be talking about the 70 year old Rev. who judged the state fair....I guess the guy from Cali was your "cute" judge..or heck it could be the Rev.

Jerry

lol...not the Rev.......
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom