Pics

emulhall

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
Hi everybody! Merry Christmas if you celebrate it and happy holidays to all.

I currently have bantams because my boyfriend loves the minis, but my dream is having big, fat chickens lol!

These would be purely pets and I would like to hear anyone’s experiences with their temperaments. Ideally, I would want them to be snuggly, like jump in your lap snuggly. I know every bird is an individual, so I’d like to hear about your individuals :) These are the breeds I’m thinking:

Orpington
Australorp (Black)
Speckled Sussex
Dorking
Dominique

Thank you!!

Hi everybody! Merry Christmas if you celebrate it and happy holidays to all.

I currently have bantams because my boyfriend loves the minis, but my dream is having big, fat chickens lol!

These would be purely pets and I would like to hear anyone’s experiences with their temperaments. Ideally, I would want them to be snuggly, like jump in your lap snuggly. I know every bird is an individual, so I’d like to hear about your individuals :) These are the breeds I’m thinking:

Orpington
Australorp (Black)
Speckled Sussex
Dorking
Dominique

Thank you!!
The most personable birds in my flock are my Plymouth Barred Rocks. They are very nice birds and love to jump up into my lap while I sit out with the chickens.

The most personable birds in my flock are my Plymouth Barred Rocks. They are very nice birds and love to jump up into my lap while I sit out with the chickens.

I agree. My Barred Rock was amazing. I have a Partridge Rock now and she’s pretty friendly too but I haven’t had her long.

Those are all good breeds!! The Sussex and Orpington are especially friendly. My Delaware is also extremely friendly and believe it or not, my White Leghorn is too. I had heard Leghorns can be flighty but not mine. She is very friendly, curious, and personable and is one of my favorites. She’s not exactly big and fat though lol but I love her. My Delaware definitely fits the big and fat description. :lau my Australorps too and the Orps.

All those breeds are great though. Although I’ve never had Dominique or Dorking.

I’ve had the others.

I’ve had or currently have Plymouth Rock (both Barred and Partridge varieties), Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Easter Egger, White Leghorn, Speckled Sussex, Delaware and I love them all. They’re great and very friendly and personable. I have 3 Easter Evers because I love them so much lol I have multiples of most of the other breeds too but still. Love the EEs. And of course the egg color is a great bonus.

I think you will be happy with whatever you choose. :love

The best birds for what you are talking about in my experience is buff Orpingtons and Easter eggers. Those were the ones that would jump into my lap when I sat out and watched them. I also had a leghorn that was extremely sweet and always jumped into my lap for treats but from what I’ve read that is not a norm for the breed. Goodluck with whatever chickens you decide to get!

Those are all good breeds!! The Sussex and Orpington are especially friendly. My Delaware is also extremely friendly and believe it or not, my White Leghorn is too. I had heard Leghorns can be flighty but not mine. She is very friendly, curious, and personable and is one of my favorites. She’s not exactly big and fat though lol but I love her. My Delaware definitely fits the big and fat description. :lau my Australorps too and the Orps.

All those breeds are great though. Although I’ve never had Dominique or Dorking.

I’ve had the others.

I’ve had or currently have Plymouth Rock (both Barred and Partridge varieties), Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Easter Egger, White Leghorn, Speckled Sussex, Delaware and I love them all. They’re great and very friendly and personable. I have 3 Easter Evers because I love them so much lol I have multiples of most of the other breeds too but still. Love the EEs. And of course the egg color is a great bonus.

I think you will be happy with whatever you choose. :love
I had that same experience with my leghorn! She was the chicken in my flock with the most personality and was an absolute sweetheart, the whole family was devastated when she died.

Back
Top Bottom