FuzzyOwlFeet

Songster
May 5, 2021
I'm going to be hatching my own eggs in the next two days, however there are a few I'm unsure if I should even try putting in the incubator.

Just as a note, I have incubated before but that was four years ago, so I'm still pretty new at it.

I don't have pictures but will explain the best I can.

Egg 1: Is a blue egg, it is clean and was gathered within 4 hours of being layed. I candled it to check for cracks and it appears there is a lot of movement inside. I can see the dark shadow which I assume is the yolk bouncing around whenever I turn the egg, no matter how slow I do it. None of the other eggs do that. Keep or throw out?

Egg 2: Is a brown egg, I gathered it four days ago but didn't properly set it fat-end-up.... it's been on its side the whole time, I just set it up properly today. Keep or throw out?

Egg 3 and 4: Are green eggs, were layed by a very old hen, she is 8 years old and I have never hatched her eggs before, I wanted to give it a try, but would her age impact the health of the embryos/chicks? Keep or throw out?

Egg 5: Pink-ish egg with lots of white deposits on it. Keep or throw out?

Do you have space concerns in the incubator? If not, I’d put them in just to see what happens. Couldn’t hurt, I don’t think! Worst case they don’t hatch!
I've got plenty of room. I'll probably just put them all in and cross my fingers! My only concern was I didn't want any chicks hatching with birth defects.. hatch defects? Not sure the proper word I'm looking for. I'll be sure to update so maybe others can learn from the experience too.

I’m not super sure, but I’d guess maybe the old hen’s egg might be the most likely out of the ones listed for birth defects, but I would also think that most eggs would quit by hatching time if it was a significant defect.

The pink one with deposits might be extra calcium, so maybe a chance of a thigh shell? That one might have a little harder time hatching.

Eggs 1 and 2 - if something is jiggled inside too much, most likely they’ll just quit at some point before hatch.

nothing ventured nothing gained. I would put them in the incubator. Mark when you put them in and leave them at least till the time they were suppose to hatch. The bantom eggs I put in the incubator were in for abt. 7 to 10 days after mother hen gave up. So far one has hatched.If the eggs start to show bubbles on the outside of the egg you know it's no good. The ones that bubbled on the outside of the eggs I had, I took out side to bury but checked them first and though there were chicks in them they had died at about the have way point of about 1 1/2 to two weeks jestation. Good Luck.

Does anyone know if an egg like this will hatch or should I just toss it?

I drove 30 minutes only for the lady to tell me that her girls didn't lay that many eggs that day and may be heat stressed. They're Lavender Orpies but I'm afraid it might burst? It's my first time so I'm trying to figure things out as I go but the idea of a burst bad egg ruining my others scares me!

903BDFD4-2923-4942-88EB-463AD0C9CCBF.jpeg
329D0FAB-9B90-4509-AC6C-9BE349A76761.jpeg
D5ED3C12-1906-4B50-83D9-6474694FF43E.jpeg

It looks large but my hands are actually small (I'm only 5'0 tall)! It's much smaller than the average egg at the market. It's also a bit misshapen. Here is a comparison between this egg and the others I received today. Please ignore the white egg in the carton!

46A9C3EC-B662-4B39-B443-1C3FB0D781EA.jpeg

D0CEA134-B522-4F09-A067-2A29C5394D31.jpeg

Eggs explode due to a build up of bacteria. Generally this happens when an egg starts to develop but then dies for whatever reason. As long as you candle regularly you can remove any eggs this happens to before things get critical. If you are unsure about an egg there's no harm in keeping it in a few days more then candling again to reassess.

Infertile eggs can on rare occasions explode but that's only if the egg was laid somewhere damp, compromising the bloom so that it couldn't dry over the whole of the egg and allowing bacteria from the environment to enter the egg. I've kept my own infertile eggs in for the whole of incubation and never had a bad one. Even if cracked open on day 21 they don't smell and the yolk is only just starting to degrade. From an unknown source it's safer to remove them once you are sure they aren't developing.

Less than perfect eggs can still hatch gorgeous chicks.

Good luck with your hatch and let us know how you get on.

Eggs explode due to a build up of bacteria. Generally this happens when an egg starts to develop but then dies for whatever reason. As long as you candle regularly you can remove any eggs this happens to before things get critical. If you are unsure about an egg there's no harm in keeping it in a few days more then candling again to reassess.

Infertile eggs can on rare occasions explode but that's only if the egg was laid somewhere damp, compromising the bloom so that it couldn't dry over the whole of the egg and allowing bacteria from the environment to enter the egg. I've kept my own infertile eggs in for the whole of incubation and never had a bad one. Even if cracked open on day 21 they don't smell and the yolk is only just starting to degrade. From an unknown source it's safer to remove them once you are sure they aren't developing.

Less than perfect eggs can still hatch gorgeous chicks.

Good luck with your hatch and let us know how you get on.
You don’t even know what your response means to me. Thank you so much for saying this because this egg was fertilized upon candling!
You’ve eased my nerves big time and I learned something today. This is the best community and I’m so lucky to get to be a member here.

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom