Are you as confused as I am regarding which Breed to get

Your welcome!!! Yeah that roo was a bit too much for me...Some people probably think that I'm being a baby about it, and I probably am, but I didn't really want a rooster in the beginning, and the fact that he was being aggressive towards me didn't help at all!!! It's one thing if he's a couple months old THEN the hormones would kick in, and I would expect that. However, It's another thing if the chick is only 8 days old and already being aggressive to me AND the other chicks!!!

Last edited:
All I can say is don't get a chicken breed that is new, unless there is TONS of info on them....I made that mistake with Dixie Rainbows. I supposedly had hens, however on the sixth day of owning them, my 8 day old "hen," she was showing aggressive behavior to me, mostly seen in cockerels. Even if I peeked my head over the brooder, while all the other chicks ran away, she (or he!!!) would run over to where I was and jump up and "chick attack" my face for no reason!!!
barnie.gif
It didn't REALLY hurt but it WASN'T like it felt good!!! TSC was nice enough to let us return them for a FULL refund...Which was REALLY nice of them. Basically, pick a breed that has "been around the neighborhood" a couple of times so that you hear the good AND the bad (and everything in between!!!). Good luck!!!
big_smile.png
Here's a link to a chicken breed selector... http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/which-breed-is-right-for-me.aspx
Well, TSC made the mistake in the first place in telling you the Dixie Rainbows were sexed pullets. They only come straight run since most people order them for meat, a slower growing alternative to Cornish X.

Yeah...I was wondering about that too...TSC said they got them from Hoover's Hatchery and so I went to Hoover's website and there were only straight run...I don't know why they said they were pullets. When we went to TSC to look at chicks, the employee looked them up on Hoover's website while we were there because we said we were interested in them, and it CLEARLY said on the description STRAIGHT RUN!!!! I don't know how they got that mixed up, but at least TSC let us give them back... Thanks!!!
wee.gif

Well, TSC made the mistake in the first place in telling you the Dixie Rainbows were sexed pullets. They only come straight run since most people order them for meat, a slower growing alternative to Cornish X.
Yeah...I was wondering about that too...TSC said they got them from Hoover's Hatchery and so I went to Hoover's website and there were only straight run...I don't know why they said they were pullets. When we went to TSC to look at chicks, the employee looked them up on Hoover's website while we were there because we said we were interested in them, and it CLEARLY said on the description STRAIGHT RUN!!!! I don't know how they got that mixed up, but at least TSC let us give them back... Thanks!!!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom