are you white egg layer people happy (Sept '10)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhoda_bruce, Sep 6, 2010.

1. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    My reds are on strike. I am hoping its almost over and soon they will bombard me with eggs, but I'm wondering if I should have gotten a few leghorns or minorcas to insure a steady egg flow. I had to take my sign down, because its all I can do to have eggs for myself. This is a fairly new development and I'm hoping that when it cools off, I will have many eggs again. My hens will be in their second laying year and my pullets will be starting fresh.

2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    We have a variety of chickens. But I am hardly ever without an egg from my two leghorns. They may not be the prettiest or the most popular breed but they are dependable. Aside from the leghorns the only other one that is consistent is the White Rock (brown egg layer).

Hope your eggs start coming again regular soon! [​IMG]

3. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    I'm only getting an average of 1-3 eggs a day from my 7 hens right now. One is molting pretty heavily. The others, not so much.

4. Chickenfarmer 1-2-b

Chickenfarmer 1-2-b Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    I have only one hen, the leghorn. She gives me 5-6 eggs per week. She may be skittish and not cuddly, but quite dependable when it comes to egg laying. I am trying to increase my hen population since one hen cant feed the entire family of 6, lol.

5. @~rosecityfarmgirl~@

@[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Windsor
    I've got a pair of Leghorns who each lay about 6 eggs a week. Now my fiancee, who had to be convinced to get them in the first place, is planning an addition because he wants more eggs (and therefore more chickens [​IMG] ) Heheh, chicken math!

6. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well I'm gonna have to figure how I'm going to break the news to DH. I plan on raising some meaties in the fall and I'm wondering how I will tell him that I will be also putting 6 leghorns in the mix. He is just gonna love this.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    That's why I have lots of different ages, so when the oldest ones are molting or not laying, the younger ones are still giving me eggs.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    The only thing about white layers... Nobody that I sell to wants white eggs!! Everybody asks "Their brown eggs right?" [​IMG]

Missi

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    we sell the white eggs along with our variety packs. Some customers only want the white eggs. But those leghorns lay in the middle of an ice storm - I have to say that much for them! Ours are not flighty but "shy"[​IMG]

10. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Quote:Same here. I too have 7 hens and am doing good if I get 1-3 eggs a day. My silky is broody again so now she quit on me again too. Hope for better days ahead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by