are you white egg layer people happy (Sept '10)

rhoda_bruce

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Cut Off, LA
My reds are on strike. I am hoping its almost over and soon they will bombard me with eggs, but I'm wondering if I should have gotten a few leghorns or minorcas to insure a steady egg flow. I had to take my sign down, because its all I can do to have eggs for myself. This is a fairly new development and I'm hoping that when it cools off, I will have many eggs again. My hens will be in their second laying year and my pullets will be starting fresh.

We have a variety of chickens. But I am hardly ever without an egg from my two leghorns. They may not be the prettiest or the most popular breed but they are dependable. Aside from the leghorns the only other one that is consistent is the White Rock (brown egg layer).

Hope your eggs start coming again regular soon!
fl.gif

I'm only getting an average of 1-3 eggs a day from my 7 hens right now. One is molting pretty heavily. The others, not so much.

I have only one hen, the leghorn. She gives me 5-6 eggs per week. She may be skittish and not cuddly, but quite dependable when it comes to egg laying. I am trying to increase my hen population since one hen cant feed the entire family of 6, lol.

I've got a pair of Leghorns who each lay about 6 eggs a week. Now my fiancee, who had to be convinced to get them in the first place, is planning an addition because he wants more eggs (and therefore more chickens
big_smile.png
) Heheh, chicken math!

Well I'm gonna have to figure how I'm going to break the news to DH. I plan on raising some meaties in the fall and I'm wondering how I will tell him that I will be also putting 6 leghorns in the mix. He is just gonna love this.

we sell the white eggs along with our variety packs. Some customers only want the white eggs. But those leghorns lay in the middle of an ice storm - I have to say that much for them! Ours are not flighty but "shy"
smile.png

Quote:
Same here. I too have 7 hens and am doing good if I get 1-3 eggs a day. My silky is broody again so now she quit on me again too. Hope for better days ahead.

Back
Top Bottom